PDA

View Full Version : Removing Fingernail Polish from a Table Top

john worrell
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
someone has ask me how to remove finger nail polish from a wooden table...i would appreciate any suggestions.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
If it's a small amount try acetone on a cotton swab.

Sean Kinn
01-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I would try something like picking at it with a pin or other similar method first.

Before you use ANY solvents be sure to test on a hidden area. Nail Polish remover is some serious stuff...my wife dropped a cotton ball soaked in this stuff onto a 150+ year old blanket chest...it did plenty of damage in the few seconds before she was able to grab it.

Glenn Clabo
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I think acetone is finger nail polish remover, right? I know that will hose up the finish if it is.

A small amount of mineral spirits has worked for me in the past. It doesn't damage the finish if you don't let it sit.

Richard Dragin
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Fingernail polish remover is acetone with some coloring and perfume. I would use straight acetone instead. Of couse do a test on a hidden part of the table but if the area has fingernail polish already it is screwed up so you won't do a lot more harm.

Hobby shops sell a product for removing crazy glue from fingers and it is acetone gel. The gel keeps the acetone from running and might make it easier to confine the acetone to the nail polish and minimize the damage.

If it is an open grain wood/finish chances are nothing short of sanding will totally remove it.

Jason Roehl
01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Acetone will likely damage whatever finish is on the table, but that said, you can still use it. The key is always to put the solvent on a rag and rub, don't put it directly on the stuff you're trying to remove. If it's being stubborn, then wipe it with a little excess and let it sit for a very short time (a second or so) before you start to rub it. You might also try the same thing with lacquer thinner as it seems to be more volatile (evaporative) than acetone (will evaporate faster), so there is less likelihood of damage where you don't want it. As a painter, I've done plenty of cleaning up paint and finish from where it doesn't belong (never my own mistakes, of course :D ), and lacquer thinner and xylene seem to be the most aggressive while not doing any damage (again if it's put on a cloth or rag first, not directly on the surface)

Sandra Force
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
You might also try the acetone free finger nail polish remover.

Andrew Nemeth
01-08-2008, 2:46 PM
If you have a pretty steady hand I might try to remove the bulk of the cured nail polish with a scraper blade. I have done similar touch ups with a single edge razor blade with good results. To protect the adjacent finish you may want to mask it off with a very thin tape. Only remove the tape when you need to scrape the last layer away. However, If the solvent from the finger nail polish has dissolved into the layer of finish below you might already be out of luck for an invisible repair without refinishing.

-Andrew