PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Purchase

Brent Ring
01-08-2008, 2:03 AM
I, like a few others here, am about ready to pull the trigger on a band saw purchase. Unlike most of the easterners, it seems there is not quite the proliferation of used equipment around here. I am on about a $400-$600 budget. Resawing is a small requirement but not huge. I have kind of narrowed my choices to a Rikon 10-320, Delta 28-206, a Jet JWBS-14 DS, and the Grizzly G0555X, and I have some consideration for a Craftsman 14". However, my local woodworking shop has a used Powermatic that looks like a 16" for about $450.00, and that has my interest peaked. Do any of you have any suggestions or advice? The powermatic is green and looks to be at least 10-15 years old

John Bailey
01-08-2008, 5:11 AM
I like the older models of bandsaws as far as quality goes. However, if you want the newer bells and whistles like quick release blade tension and dust collection, you'll have to go with a newer one.

In general, I think you'll be happiest with the larger bandsaw.

John

Rob Will
01-08-2008, 7:11 AM
I agree with John, go for the larger model.
IMHO, there is simply not that much to go wrong with a bandsaw. If the PM saw is complete and functional, go for it.

Rob

Mike Cutler
01-08-2008, 8:52 AM
I'm with John on this one. The PM sounds like a nice deal.

Paul Johnstone
01-08-2008, 9:22 AM
However, my local woodworking shop has a used Powermatic that looks like a 16" for about $450.00, and that has my interest peaked. Do any of you have any suggestions or advice? The powermatic is green and looks to be at least 10-15 years old

That seems like a great deal. Even if the Powermatic was only a 14", that would still be a great deal.. If I recall correctly, a 14" Powermatic was at least $800-900 back then.

Brent Ring
01-09-2008, 4:04 PM
Even if the Powermatic was only a 14", that would still be a great deal.. If I recall correctly, a 14" Powermatic was at least $800-900 back then.

Ok,
I went over and checked out the specson the used Powermatic. It is actually a 14" Powermatic Model 141, vintage 1973. Has no dust collection. Runs well, Case iron all the way thru, but no dust collection ports at all, and it is missing the motor door in the base, and it has some squeaking near the blade guides. The guy said he would take $400.00 for it, especially if I buy blades and a fence for it. He also said he would work with me on the blade guides. I could put a Kreg fence with this, add a dust collection port to it, and have a pretty good bandsaw for about $550, not including tax.

Any thoughts, or should I look new at a Rikon 10-320?

Allan Froehlich
01-09-2008, 4:21 PM
I spent nearly a year looking at these same bandsaws.

I reccomend the Grizzly G0555X. It has all of the features you would want on a bandsaw and the lowest price for it. The others mentioned might not include full ball bearings or quick release. Fine woodworking even declared it to be a best-value.

Bigger tends to be better. 14 inches is very large to begin with.

Bob Vallaster
01-09-2008, 4:44 PM
Brent,
That's a good deal on a durable machine.
Careful someone doesn't buy it while you're taking internet polls...

Bob V.

Larry Fox
01-09-2008, 5:11 PM
PM 141 all the way. I had one and it is a wonderful machine. No experience with the others. The 141 is essentially an ingot of cast-iron and you will be VERY surprised when you go to lift it. When I first picked up the one I had from the guy I bought it from (and subsequently sold it back to) I initially thought it was bolted to the floor it was so heavy.

I only sold it because I also have an MM16 and needed $$ for a sorely needed dust collection upgrade and one had to go.

I agree with the other poster, get it before someone else does. It is essentially a 0-cost option for you. Pay the $400 if you don't like it sell it for the same or more - there is a very good market for these saws.

Danny Thompson
01-09-2008, 8:26 PM
Let's see . . . Google Utah + Woodworking . . . hmmm. Wonder how much shipping will be . . .

John Bailey
01-09-2008, 9:05 PM
I like old machines, so I would go for the 141 also. I've never used one, but reports would put it as one of the best 14"rs. That being said, make sure you think it out because it may be a bit of work if it hasn't been kept up. If you are willing to make it proper, it's probably better than the 14" bandsaws of today.

John