PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter's First Bowl

Donald Price
01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
This is my daughter, Victoria, turning her first bowl while home on Christmas break from University in Seattle. She has a natural delicate touch with a bowl gouge that required very little sanding. I love the chips all over her.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
That's fantastic! Both of my DILs and my SIL will pray it's not hereditary!:D

Brian Brown
01-08-2008, 2:58 AM
Uh oh! Another one lost to the vortex!!!:D

Jim Becker
01-08-2008, 9:33 AM
Wonderful!! I hope she continues to turn as it sounds like she has some natural skill and feel for the art!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2008, 9:41 AM
Don that is awesome. What a way to spend some good time together. Sounds like she is a natural.

robert hainstock
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure that brought a nice warm fuzzy feeling to you. It is wonderful when our kids take an interest in something we are interested in. I hope she can persue the "Hobby" at school. :):):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Always great to hear when families share the fun of turning!

Joe Delfino
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
This is my daughter, Victoria, turning her first bowl while home on Christmas break from University in Seattle. She has a natural delicate touch with a bowl gouge that required very little sanding. I love the chips all over her.

That's a great thing Don. I just got sucked into the vortex and gave my first pen to my daughter. Now she wants to turn her own. Im a little reluctent to let her try untill I get some proper instruction myshelf. I don't want to teach her any bad habits.

Pete Jordan
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Send her back with a mini. She might be able to pay tuition with her profits!

Tim A. Mitchell
01-08-2008, 3:19 PM
Or spend all that tuition on chucks, tools, wood, a bigger lathe . . .

Steve Campbell
01-08-2008, 7:18 PM
Life just don't get much better than that. The picture says it all.
I love it.

Steve

Heather Deans
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Looks like she was having fun! One question.... I noticed your daughter was wearing gloves, but I was told not to wear gloves (esp loose work gloves) when using power tools- especially those w/ rotation. Has anyone else heard this, or was the person who told me this being overly cautious?

Brian McInturff
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Life just doesn't get better!!

Heather, over cautious in my opinion. Just remember you have gloves on and don't touch the spinning object. Considering she is just handling the tools then she should be ok. Besides, she doesn't need caloused hands like the majority of us men have. Wear'em if you gott'em!!

Daniel Heine
01-09-2008, 5:07 PM
Hello,

I have a 17 year old son who has been deep in the vortex for 3 years already. Sounds like a perfect math for him!!!!! It's a great thing to be able to share your passion with one of your children.

Dan Heine

Ben Gastfriend
01-09-2008, 7:58 PM
I wear tight gloves with a flexible resin coated palm side. I find that they dampen some of the vibrations that are transfered into your hands and reduce some of the muscle fatigue associated with turning.

Another one is sucked into the vortex! Can you hear it swirling?....:)