PDA

View Full Version : First pens, O.K. now I'm hooked.

Joe Delfino
01-07-2008, 5:29 PM
I did my first pens today and after the first one where I had to figure out how everything went togeather I think I did pretty good. The bottom one was first. The second came out 100% better. These where made from some cherry shorts I had laying around. Tell me what ya think.

Cyril Griesbach
01-07-2008, 6:01 PM
Very well done, Joe. Yep...now you're hooked alright!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2008, 6:02 PM
Well Joe I tell ya I think you are a goner. You have fallen into the black hole or vortex of turning.:rolleyes:;):D

Joe the pens look great. You did a fine job on them. Keep'em coming.

Ben Gastfriend
01-07-2008, 7:15 PM
He's being sucked into the abyss! Yes!:D

The pens look great! The finish on them looks better than my first ones! Lets see more!

Mike A. Smith
01-07-2008, 7:27 PM
I like'em both Joe. If you're really hooked, you have no idea how much those pens are going to end up costing you!:D

By the way, don't try to keep up with the cost, you wouldn't survive it!:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2008, 7:51 PM
Well, Joe, I don't see anything to be ashamed of, so keep at it and sell all your tools except for the Bandsaw, Combo Sander, Drill Press, and DC. You won't need things like Routers (Maybe later), Jointers, and All Other FLAT work tools. Then you will have enough money to buy ALL of the NEAT Tooling for turning.:D

Bruce ;)

Joe Delfino
01-07-2008, 9:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The vortex is one thing that kept from a lathe for so long. If I'd had only known :). I can feel my wallet getting lighter as I write this. The guys at Woodcraft are going to love me. So many things I need. I do have to work on my photography skills though, the darker pen has some nice figure in it that doesn't show in the photo.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2008, 9:16 PM
Nice first pens Joe! Remember.....the suction of the Vortex is so great ....that if you hold onto your money too hard......the Vortex will pull the ink right off of it and you can't spend it any way......You're a goner!:D

Karin Voorhis
01-07-2008, 9:37 PM
Wonderful job. I am in awe of your talent!!!!!!

Greg Cuetara
01-07-2008, 9:48 PM
Joe. Very nice for your first pens. What pen kits did you use and where did you get them? I like that style.
Greg

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
He's being sucked into the abyss! Yes!:D

The pens look great! The finish on them looks better than my first ones! Lets see more!

Oh yes he has.!!!! ;)

And yes, those pens are nice looking pens. Just wait until you post your 25th turned pen....you'll be amazed at the difference. I know, because from my 1st to my 50th pen was a world of difference in quality of turning and finish.

Beautiful job....keep'em coming!!!!

Joe Delfino
01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Joe. Very nice for your first pens. What pen kits did you use and where did you get them? I like that style.
Greg

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. This is a fun hobby.

As for the pen kits, they are European style kits from Woodcraft. I liked the look and at first glance they looked like nice and easy starter kits. Little did know they were a little more work then a slimline. With these you have to cut a tenon which wasn't to hard once I figured out how to set up the bushings.

Jon Lanier
01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Welcome to pen world. I'd spin this like the other fellows but can't think of anything original.

Doug M Jones
01-08-2008, 8:29 AM
Don't let your wife/significant other see them. Mine loves the acrylics and thinks she needs one in each color. Then when a coworker admires the pen, she gives them one. I had to set her down and have an economic lesson....:) probably won't change anything but at least she knows what she's giving away.

robert hainstock
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Life is a learning curve. After over fifty pens I'm still learning how to make them better, faster, cheaper, Etc. enjoy the vortex, it is keeping me young. :D
Bob

Joe Scarfo
01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice Pens...

Welcome to the vortex, it'll never stop.

My girl friend and I struggled with our first pens, but then as neophytes we didn't know much. We were struggling w/ Acrylic.

Now we've improved and they look great. If I could only post pics....

We started on a big Delta Iron Bed lathe I bought used from a neighbor. We just picked up a Delta Midi at a Rockler sale for under $200 which is set up in the basement. Now w/ dust collection working.. it's fantastic.

The kids are now into it too. I turn the pen and let them sand and polish them. They're having fun making them for grandma and grandpa.

Someone is selling blanks that are actually us flags w/ stars and stripes that need to be glued in. I'm not ready to tackle that yet, but I will be soon.

Joe in Green Bay