PDA

View Full Version : ? about Skill Saw

Darrell Jones
01-07-2008, 5:10 PM
A few years ago I helped a friend build some stuff and was cutting 3/4 ply. He had an older Skill Saw (gear drive? the kind with the handle well behind the saw). Anyway it was pretty sweet and I wanted one. I finally brought home a new Skill Saw Mag 77. I think there is something wrong with it. Pushes real hard, even with light stuff and likes to burn a lot. The bottom plate for the guide is very rounded instead of square so I had to go get a new taller 8' guide thinking that was the problem. No difference. The rear of the saw wants to drift to the right. Is there some way I can fix/adjust this thing or should I take it back to Sears? My ancient Craftsman circular saw cuts much better. :confused: Thanks........DJ

Mike Goetzke
01-07-2008, 5:36 PM
Sounds that you blade is out of square with the base. You can measure it to check. I would exchange it if it's off. That Skill is supposed to be a very good saw.

Mike

David G Baker
01-07-2008, 5:46 PM
I have the HD77 Skil worm drive and have found it to be a great saw. Once in a while I wish I had the Mag version due to the difference in the weight.
If your Skil is doing as you described, it is time for an trip to Sears because the worm drive Skil is one of the old standards of the industry and has had many years of great service.

Chuck Burns
01-07-2008, 5:52 PM
Take it back. The 77 is a geat saw and the Mag77 is even better. There must be something wrong with it as there is no better portable saw.

Bill Wyko
01-07-2008, 6:06 PM
When I was a framer I used a Skill. You could drop it off a roof, pick it up and keep on cutting. Is the blade on the right way? I tortured several skills for years. The only reason I ever replaced one was because I would treat them like poop so the looked terrible. I don't ever rember breaking one, just wore them out.

Matt Schell
01-07-2008, 8:31 PM
i have used the mag worm drive to do framing work and absolutely loved it. Way more torque than a sidewinder and I find that the worm drives naturally track much straighter when following a line.

glenn bradley
01-07-2008, 8:37 PM
The 77 is the PC690 of circ-saws, rock solid. There's a problem, take it back and exchange.

Kevin L. Pauba
01-07-2008, 8:49 PM
I always wondered ... is the Craftsman worm drive saw a relabeled Skil? They look identical.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2008, 9:00 PM
If it's a Skil worm drive....I'd try a new blade. If a blade is dull and doesn't cut easily it will burn the wood. Like wise a blade that isn't sharp or is improperly sharpened can pull to one side or the other. Be advised, the blades manufacturers often put on new saws are not the best blades. When I ordered my MM-16...the salesman warned me that the blades that ship with the machine were of very poor quality.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-07-2008, 9:39 PM
Don't be offended--but, the blade isn't on backwards is it?:o

Clint Gauthier
01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Don't be offended--but, the blade isn't on backwards is it?:o
Ditto.

I had a friend with similar problems. He was sure the blade was on correctly because the blade label was facing out. It was backwards.

Darrell Jones
01-08-2008, 6:04 PM
I sure do appreciate all the info/advice. I checked the squarness of blade to foot and looked OK. I bought a couple new blades, both DeWalt. First is a fast cutting construction. Pretty much the same as the stock blade maybe 10% better. Takes about 4 seconds to get through a 2x4 pushing as hard as I felt comfortable. Still burns. Then I tried a 36 tooth finishing blade. WOW, that thing is like a hot knife through butter. Saw works pretty darn good with that blade which now I am really confused. I think I will return the saw for exchange as I feel there is still something wrong with it. Thanks all.

Matt Meiser
01-08-2008, 7:17 PM
Ditto.

I had a friend with similar problems. He was sure the blade was on correctly because the blade label was facing out. It was backwards.

Glad it wasn't just me. I did the same on mine the first time. :o

Steve Leverich
01-08-2008, 8:10 PM
Besides making sure the blade's on right, are you using an extension cord? If so, and it's very long, it should be 12 gauge wire. These saws draw about 15-17 amps IIRC, so a long 16 gauge cord will SERIOUSLY limit the power... Steve

Ian Haywood
01-08-2008, 8:27 PM
Well I learned something today. I always thought of Skil as just another B&D. I've never owned one of those worm drives and wondered what the extra bulk was all about.

Ian

Darrell Jones
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Just got back from Sears with my new saw. Works great with the stock blade. Must have just got a bad one. Thanks again everyone. This forum is so awesome. :D