PDA

View Full Version : Wood strengths ????

Bill Huber
01-07-2008, 4:47 PM
I am getting ready to build some kids chairs and thanks to Rob Wright I now have the real plans for the chair. The one I made from a picture is not bad but there are some dimensions that I need to change.

Anyway I was going to make the chairs out of redwood but in the plans it states, "We recommend white pine, yellow pine or most any hardwood except oak. Although redwood would seems like an obvious choice, we don't recommend it because of its low strength."

So white pine is stronger then redwood and would be strong enough for a chair like this.
I don't understand the not using oak, I always thought that oak was a very strong wood.

So if you were making these little chairs what wood would you use?

George Bregar
01-07-2008, 4:57 PM
The only issue with oak is the tannin will react with the nails and stain black. It's more than strong enough. Redwood would be fine me thinks. Pine too.

Greg Heppeard
01-07-2008, 4:58 PM
I wonder why they don't recommend oak either...OK well might have to use stainless screws

Richard Wolf
01-07-2008, 5:10 PM
White oak is recommended for outdoor use. Red oak will absorb moisture, turn black and rot. Spanish cedar would also be a good choice.

Richard

Gary Herrmann
01-07-2008, 5:12 PM
If you use white oak, get some stainless steel fasteners, then no staining.

George Bregar
01-07-2008, 5:16 PM
Be careful with screws... based on that design they can cause the slats to split.

Bill Huber
01-07-2008, 8:48 PM
White oak is recommended for outdoor use. Red oak will absorb moisture, turn black and rot. Spanish cedar would also be a good choice.

Richard

Well I guess I will try and find some good white oak and give it a try.

Thanks.

Bill Huber
01-07-2008, 8:49 PM
The only issue with oak is the tannin will react with the nails and stain black. It's more than strong enough. Redwood would be fine me thinks. Pine too.

Thanks George, I think I am going to try some white oak and see what how that goes.

John Karas
01-07-2008, 9:38 PM
Hi Bill

For the design you ere going to make you can use any type of wood from shoft to a very hard wood without any problems and stregth will never be an isue.

The type of wood only apply if this chair is for indoors or outdoors

John

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 9:40 PM
For indoor use, I'd just pick what I like the best. For outdoor use, I'd go with white oak, cypress, mahogany or ipe. But these are just personal preferences.

Bill Huber
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
For indoor use, I'd just pick what I like the best. For outdoor use, I'd go with white oak, cypress, mahogany or ipe. But these are just personal preferences.

Thanks Jim.

I am planning for them to be taken outside, I just ordered some white oak and wil see how that goes.

Bill Huber
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Bill

For the design you ere going to make you can use any type of wood from shoft to a very hard wood without any problems and stregth will never be an isue.

The type of wood only apply if this chair is for indoors or outdoors

John

I want them to be able to take them outside..