PDA

View Full Version : Rough out question

Bill Bolen
01-07-2008, 3:58 PM
I have 3 or 4 of these Elm Crotch pieces that were roughed out and sealed/bagged to dry. They have been in the bag since 3/28/07. Looks like the crotch has opened up. Now what? Should I epoxy these open splits and try to finish turn or should I just chuck them to the burn bucket? Hate to loose them but don’t relish a repair to my head if they come apart.
Thanks…..Bill

Alex Cam
01-07-2008, 4:53 PM
Bill,

If it were me, I think I'd have to chuck 'em. Those cracks look like they get pretty close to meeting in the middle. Then again, being timid never got anyone anywhere..! ;)

Alex

Hilel Salomon
01-07-2008, 5:10 PM
Being a wood miser, I was just about to post a question to other members to see how many others out there are very reluctant to throw out a bowl. First, an answer to your question... If it were me, I would get some epoxy, mix it with espresso coffee and fill the cracks up. You have nothing to lose and a possibly nice bowl to gain. I'm in the middle of making one small bowl and two medium size platters out of a huge cherry blank that had worm decay down most of it.
I'm a profligate spender when it comes to tools, books and gadgets and the quickest check grabber of them all when it comes to restaurants and bars, but.... when it comes to wood, I have a hard time passing up any freebies, or throwing out a cracked blank... I buy a fair amount of wood, but I love free wood and after spending time on it, I just don't want to throw it into the wood stove..... so I say go for it. Epoxy, when cured is very strong and will make-at the very least- a good practice piece that you can give to someone.. I have grandkids who love my bowls and are delighted with imperfect pieces.
Luck, Hilel.

Jason Christenson
01-07-2008, 5:20 PM
I'd go for it.

Paul Engle
01-07-2008, 5:31 PM
Yep , Hilel got the right idea, make sure the epoxy gets both sides good and " wet" use the 20 minute stuff as it will give you more working time.Make sure to remove any thing remotely feeling loose , tape up the inside and fill from the bottom side as that will be easier to work and sand , you may want to do one half of the bowl at a time let sit 48 hrs to make sure you got a good cure, and keep a test gob to check to insure it gets set hard.get your espresso as fine as you can , as you don't need to drown the epoxy with it, the brown from the wood will help color it as well. Elm is great to work with , be sure and post the pics when its done and good luck...

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2008, 5:59 PM
William like Helil said we are a reluctant bunch to throw a bowl out. I had one that was mesquite that had a problem just like yours. I mixed up 5 minute epoxy and then add DNA till it was the consistancy of milk. I painted this on until it would not soak in anymore. Then I mixed up a little more epoxy mixed with instant coffee and sawdust to fill the wider voids. I let it sit for I don't know 72 or so hours. I put it on the lathe and turned a quite nice NE bowl. Still sitting on the kids mantle and son says it hasn't cracked or moved since.

Dale Gregory
01-07-2008, 6:24 PM
I agree, epoxy and turn that thing! That wood is too nice to burn!
Dale

Hilel Salomon
01-07-2008, 6:32 PM
Just a quick addendum... Bernie is the one who told me about epoxy and coffee grind and I'm forever grateful that he did. I got the cheapest espresso -I think that it's Mexican or Puerto Rican- in the grocery store and I've been using it regularly on all my cracked spalted/ambrosia maple pieces. Blends in perfectly with the existing stains.
Thanks again Bernie,

Hilel.

David Wilhelm
01-07-2008, 7:27 PM
You can always burn what falls apart after your last efforts. Many bowls have become plates and dishes. Dont burn if there's something left to turn!!!

Greg Just
01-07-2008, 8:20 PM
You can always burn what falls apart after your last efforts. Many bowls have become plates and dishes. Dont burn if there's something left to turn!!!

Burning is a last option - epoxy them and see what you get! - and please let us know the outcome.

Tony Wheeler
01-07-2008, 8:50 PM
I hope that you are drinking the expresso first and the drying the grounds I save most of my coffee ground lay them out on old news paper to dry then use for filler

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2008, 8:56 PM
I've got some 20+ year old Folgers Instant Coffee. I crush the crystals and mix it with epoxy. I wouldn't drink the instant coffee when it was new and to cheap to throw it out. After all these years I finally found something instant coffee is good for.....:D

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
William,

While the others have given you guidance on how to fix the current state, please allow me to inject a few words here.

1. If you are going to turn something that is severly patched? Make sure you wear good face protection.
2. This particular wood likes to move a fair amount. Not as much as the oak species, but it still moves a pretty good bit.
3. Turn the bowl walls thinner than what you have there and turn the bottom about 1/8" thinner than the bowl walls. The bottom normally dries slower because it has less endgrain exposed and the thinner bottom will help the entire piece dry more evenly.
4. For me, I like using the DNA method of drying my bowl blanks. I haven't lost one yet since I started using the DNA alky bath for drying my bowl blanks.

Ok...I'm done. :)
Now...post some pics when you get it all patched and finish turned. :D

Jim Underwood
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm glad Dennis said that.. cause it saved me from saying it, but I'll say it anyway.:D

Go for it, but use face protection, and don't stand in the line of fire.

Allen Neighbors
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Whew! Good advice, all. Dennis' advice about the thinner bottom has saved me a lot of disappointment.
An alternative to the coffee is crushed turquoise. The contrast to oiled elm is wonderful.
Post some pics, however you save it. :)

Curt Fuller
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
With the dark color in the crotch where it's cracking I think I'd pack the cracks full of coffee grounds and saturate them with CA glue. Maybe mix in a few sprinkles of brass filings or something with a little sparkle. But those are way to nice of blanks to throw away. Wear your face shield while you turn them for safety but I'll bet they would turn out very nice even if you just leave the voids open.

Bill Bolen
01-08-2008, 1:17 AM
Thanks all for the great advice. I am going to go for it and will post a pic when done. If I get smacked I'll have the wife snap a pic an post it in the "turners and their lathes" thread!
Bill

Reed Gray
01-08-2008, 2:22 AM
One other note, it looks like there was a bark inclusion in the crotch. This is common in crotch wood. The bark will shrink more than the wood, hense the cracking. I prefer to turn it out, or cut it out before turning. If you drench it with thin super glue before you start to dry it, it helps to reduce the cracking, but won't totally prevent it.
robo hippy

Donald Price
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I haven’t done this but have seen it done – would a couple of dovetail key’s provide stability?

Frank Kobilsek
01-08-2008, 2:01 PM
Bill,

I'll offer a couple altnernatives to burn or turn.

1) Turn the rim flat and glue on a rim. This will bridge the gap offering some strength to the entire structure. It you don't like the look turn off the rim as a last step. Just a little security blanket for the process.

2) If you don't have the confidence now to turn the pieces save them until you do. They are not likily to get better or worse but you are likily to get better.

Frank

Bill Bolen
01-08-2008, 6:03 PM
Frank I think the addition of a small rim would be just the ticket! Thanks.......Bill