PDA

View Full Version : Caring for a piano

Mark Rios
02-27-2004, 2:44 AM
First a little background:

I am starting a project for a neighbor that includes replacing all of the windows in the house. It's an old (40+ years) house with stucco exterior. I will not ever have a window open at night but the hole for each window will be open for a couple of hours during the day while I frame in the correct size opening for the new window and then install it. The house will have all of the stucco repaired and a new color coat put on when I am finished with all of the exterior work, Probably 5-6 days. It is very wet here in the central valley of CA right now and the cold and humidity will be affecting everything in the house. I've done this type of remodel many times and I am familiar with taking proper care of existing floors and furniture and the like but.....

Here's the thing. My neighbor used to be a concert pianist and he has a very expensive and elegant piano in a front sitting room. Should we move the piano out of the house into storage (very expensive option) or can we wrap it carefully and completely in something or somethings and have it be okay, with regards to the cold and humidity?

Thanks for any info anyone can give on this matter.

Michael Ballent
02-27-2004, 6:20 AM
I would say it depends on what your, or your neighbor's insurance is willing to cover in that type of situation, along with the contract you have with him. Stinks that you need to worry about these things but you can be sued at the drop of a hat even by a friend :(

I would say move that puppy out of there, or get a release from him stating he understands the possible issues with keeping the piano there and not hold you liable for damage to the piano be it dropping a tool or the thing cracks due the climatic change. I am not a lawyer, nor do I work in the insurance business, but you cannot be too careful... My 2 cents on the subject :)

-Michael

Tony Falotico
02-27-2004, 6:27 AM
Don't know a whole lot about pianos, but when I bought one for LOML (20+ yrs ago) here in Florida, they installed a heater / dehumidifier into it (at Extra cost of course) that is supposed to protect the inners from the high humidity.

Jim Becker
02-27-2004, 8:38 AM
I kinda agree with Michael on this one...this is a specialized situation and realistically, your customer should really be responsible relative to his instrument. A piano, especially a high quality instrument, is very sensitive to its environment. If it were mine, I'd want it out of there and stored in an appropriate conditioned space during the renovation.

Sans that, I'd also suggest a release from responsibility...in writing and with witnesses.

Bart Leetch
02-27-2004, 9:09 AM
I agree with Jim Becker. You are not the one responsible for the Piano. But for safety get a signed release. I have a antique 1906 Schaeffer upright & it would be moved to another room where you were not working for its safety & yours. Even though its not cosmetically restored yet it plays great.

Bill Sampson
02-27-2004, 9:46 AM
Mark, the key is to protect the sound board from expansion and contraction and the humidity should be in the 45/48 range. I would measure the humidity with a quality hygrometer to determine if the instrument should be moved.
I am currently building a replica of a 1700 hundreds French double haprsichord that will have a value of about $30,000, and believe me, you MUST protect the integrity of the internal structure of a concert instrument. Bill Sampson, Richmond

Mark Rios
02-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Lots of great information. Thanks very much to everyone.

Chris Padilla
02-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey Bill, we just *gotta* see some pictures of that build! Sounds very cool! :D

Bill Karow
02-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Should we move the piano out of the house into storage (very expensive option) or can we wrap it carefully and completely in something or somethings and have it be okay, with regards to the cold and humidity?

No way I'd try and wrap the piano - you're setting yourself up for disaster. Quality concert grands are $30,000 and up. Your neighbor should pay for professional moving and storage, no question at all.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2004, 8:02 PM
Don't know a whole lot about pianos, but when I bought one for LOML (20+ yrs ago) here in Florida, they installed a heater / dehumidifier into it (at Extra cost of course) that is supposed to protect the inners from the high humidity.

Hi!
I'd move it too. My wife is a piano teacher, and we have one of the the items Tony is talking about, called a Damp Chaser. The heater combined with water you put into a tank adds humidity when the air is dry, and the dehumidifier takes excess humidity out of the air when it is humid. (It's fun to tell someone you have to go water the piano!) Piano sound boards are very fussy about the proper amount of humidity. Think it's bad when your wood cracks because it is drying out? Wait till you have a piano sound board go!
Moving a piano around here is probably $150.00 each way. Possible storage fees apply. If you neighbor is thinking about any repair or maintenance work on his piano, now would be the best time. Good luck!
Jim.