PDA

View Full Version : miter gauge side by side comparison links?

Michael Weber
01-07-2008, 2:17 PM
I'm looking into getting a good quality miter gauge for my jet contractor saw. Lots of info out there about the various models (kreg, osborne, jointech, others) but I haven't been able to find an unbiased side by side comparison similar to any one of the wood magazine reviews of product lines. Anyone have a link to such a comparison? Failing that anyone have particular experiences (good or bad) with any of the available products? Any quality vs price opinions (best model, best buy, that sort of thing)?
Thanks

Gary Muto
01-07-2008, 3:48 PM
One of the magazines did a review in the last 6 months. AMybe it was Popular Woodworking or Woodworker's Journal. IIRC the Incra 1000se and a Kreg model came out on top. The Incra had a lower street price. I have it and recommend it. Unfortunately, I can't compare it directly to other models since I haven't used any others.
HTH

Paul Johnstone
01-07-2008, 3:55 PM
I have the JDS one, which is very nice, although pricey.. I think it was in the $150 ballpark..

I recently got the Jessem MastR Slide. If you can swing the money for it, I think it is much better than a miter gauge. You can crosscut something like 34" with it. (Definitely 32", I did that this weekend).

It's just so much nicer for doing things like trimming glue ups to size (and square), cutting up drawer parts, etc.

I really wished I had bought one years ago.

scott spencer
01-07-2008, 4:31 PM
I've got a ~$60 Incra V27 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Incra_V27_Miter_Gauge/content_195368423044), a ~$125 Osborne EB (http://www.epinions.com/review/Osborne_EB_3_Miter_Guide/content_213366771332)-3, an a ~$100 Jet Woodhaven Deluxe. All go on sale for less. All are accurate and capable. Which you like best will likely be a matter of preference. The Incra represents the best bang for the buck IMHO, but benefits from a shopbuilt or aftermarket fence, as does the Woodhaven. The V27 is the simplest to use, plus it pivots to 60°. The EB-3 has a nice fence system, but the sheer size of it makes it more cumbersome for quick use with smaller pieces. The Jet/Woodhaven is the most robust but takes the most time to change angles with.

Bob Rufener
01-07-2008, 4:41 PM
Wood Magazine did a comparison of miter gauges. October of 2007 Issue179. Drop me a note if you need info from the article.

Frank Caponi
01-07-2008, 4:57 PM
I have my Original Powermatic Miter Gauge - Never used it - lol - The first one I purchased was the AccuMiter - Not to bad - Then I bought the Incra - Not to rugged - It is actually kind of on the delicate side compared to some others - I have been using an Osbourne for around a year - It is really flexible - Very fast to change angles accurately - And - It is rugged - It has taken a few unexpected trips to the shop floor and has stayed true - That's my opinion anyway - And we all know what they say about opinions - We all have them

alex grams
01-07-2008, 5:33 PM
i like the Osborne eb3 myself. It is easy, intuitive, and fast to work with. The only thing I was iffy on it about was setting up the length with its stop relative to the blade, but i don't think there is any way to really do that effectively without some trial and error.

Bill Wyko
01-07-2008, 6:10 PM
I use the INCRA Miter 1000se and I love it. It makes cuts in 1/10 degree incra-ments:D I couldn't compair it to others probable because I have no need to. Pretty much everything they make is quality. I have work in their gallery but I don't work for them.

Rick Thom
01-07-2008, 6:45 PM
The Jessem miter gauge is excellent; robust, accurate, excellent features, repeatable... http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?pn=420-4950&bhcd2=1199749326

Michael Weber
01-07-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. Sounds like most everyone is happy with the model they have. Prices vary quite a bit from $550 for the sliding table on down. Whatever I get I want it to be dead on accurate so that if I want to make a mitered frame I can cut four equal length boards and end up with 4 perfectly closed corners without having to make repetitive adjustments. My Ryobi miter saw won't do that but it's pretty much an entry level machine.

John Browne
01-08-2008, 12:59 AM
FWW did one a few years ago. Thing that sticks in my mind is that they didn't particularly like the Incras, which surprised me. Yet I keep coming across posts on forums from people with various Incra gadgets that aren't square or accurate and Incra always seems to tell them to shim it up. That right there would keep me from Incra stuff--what's the point of buying expensive accurate stuff if it isn't accurate and you have to jury rig it to make it so?:confused:

Bob Feeser
01-08-2008, 1:30 AM
I have been oogling the higher end miter gauges for quite some time. It seems that no matter how nice they are, someone, or somemany find fault with them, so I never really settled into one.
A miter gauge that I am extremely happy with, and it only has about a 56 dollar price tag is Delta's Deluxe Gauge. You can see it here (http://www.amazon.com/Delta-34-928-Deluxe-Table-Miter/dp/B00004Y9HO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1199772825&sr=8-2) at Amazon. (That is a generic link to the page) You can read my review on it, which goes into a lot of detail. Amazon chose it as there most helpful customer review, so it is at the top of the review section on the page.
Essentially, to me it is all about accuracy. It doesn't have a monopoly on accuracy, but at this price tag it deserves special mention. I also bought the clamp system that works well with it. You will see that on the same product page, as an offer to combine the two products. It is a screw on clamp that prevents your workpiece from moving when you make a cut. Others use a sandpaper face to prevent slippage, or a nice miter gauge with a stop on it, to prevent it from moving. I really wanted to use the miter gauge with clamp system for when I am making end routs on boards. It seems that no matter how hard you try, getting the end of a board to rout, without creeping away from the fence in the middle of a pass is a tough thing to do. With this combo it is a piece of cake.
I use a Makita compound miter slider for my miter cuts, and am getting flawlessly accurate cuts with a glass smooth surface, using the factory supplied blade, so I do not cut miters on the table saw. That is the reason why I haven't stepped forward and bought an Osborne or Incra top end gauge.
In a post I just read yesterday, many were having problems with their Forrest WWII tearing out, little nubs when cross cutting on the table saw, but did not experience that when ripping. Since I crosscut with a 96 tooth factory Makita blade, that problem has not revealed itself to me.
This may be way more information that you need, but I hope it helps.

scott spencer
01-08-2008, 2:18 AM
FWW did one a few years ago. Thing that sticks in my mind is that they didn't particularly like the Incras, which surprised me. Yet I keep coming across posts on forums from people with various Incra gadgets that aren't square or accurate and Incra always seems to tell them to shim it up. That right there would keep me from Incra stuff--what's the point of buying expensive accurate stuff if it isn't accurate and you have to jury rig it to make it so?:confused:

If I'm thinking of the same test, they didn't like one of the more expensive Incras but I seem to recall them liking the 1000SE. That same test they rated the Woodhaven and JDS very high, and gave the EB-3 a "Fair". Seems that it was 3-4 years ago...

Fred Haydon
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I have the Incra 1000SE and completely love the thing. I spent about 2 hours setting it up (I'm way too picky for my own good), but I have to say the instructions were very clear. I did have to shim the mounting bracket for the fence, but only to bring it to 90 degrees to the tabletop. Other than that, the designed adjustments were plenty for bringing everything into square and true.

As for performance...WOW! I don't have to think about double and triple checking everytime I make a mitered cut. I set it for the desired setting, make my setup cut and then continue on to making the production cuts. And having the flexibility to cut at angle s of 1/10th of a degree, to me, is a bonus. I do a fair number of weird angle cuts, so I use this on a regular basis.

And I was able to find it for less than $125, so I can't complain about the price either.

Fred

John Browne
01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
[quote=scott spencer;739614]If I'm thinking of the same test, they didn't like one of the more expensive Incras but I seem to recall them liking the 1000SE. That same test they rated the Woodhaven and JDS very high, and gave the EB-3 a "Fair". Seems that it was 3-4 years ago...[/quote

Yes, I believe you have it exactly right.