PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Joiner question

dennis thompson
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I am gluing some boards of about 43" in length (for a bench top) & using a biscuit joiner for the first time. Where & how far apart should I place the biscuits?
Thanks
Dennis

frank shic
01-07-2008, 12:46 PM
dennis, if you don't really need biscuits for added strength although they can help you with alignment when it comes time to clamp them up. i usually space them 6-8" apart.

Frank Orzehoski
01-07-2008, 5:17 PM
6 to 8 inches should due.

John Karas
01-07-2008, 6:13 PM
Hello Dennis

I agree with frank is not need for biscuits or dowels to make a panel is only for alignment the boards not becose of stronger joints this is a myth.

Also in regards to how close or apart to use them is not there any specific distances all is depends how straight the boards are, and how thick.

Now days is so meny different types of glues that they are very strong i found cross link PVA can be use just about for everything.& then you got epoxies & polyurothane glues as well. But what you need to do to allign the boards as best you can. .

Is many panel clamping systems in the market such the plano veritas frontline & many others for better clamping. here is one i have been using.

www.frontlineengineering.com.au (http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au)

Good luck

John