PDA

View Full Version : Corel Longbox Drawing

Keith Outten
02-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Right Click here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/corel/longbox_complete.cdr) and select save as to download the Corel drawing of the longbox plans. This is a 3.6 meg download.

SteveKrim
02-27-2004, 7:16 AM
Thanks, we'll see how my laser reacts to this one...

Also, I have been meaning to ask, how do you engrave pens? Do you have a jig? I suppose there are many ways to do it - but what seems to work out the best?

Thanks,

Steve

SteveKrim
02-27-2004, 7:24 AM
Hi Again... I tried to open it in Coreel, and it won't open... Maybe a .zip file??? Might be getting corrupted in transit.

Thanks,

Steve

Keith Outten
02-28-2004, 4:05 PM
Steve,

Sorry, I saved the file in Corel version 12 originally but I just exported the file as a Corel Draw version 8 drawing which I hope you can open. Note that the file size decreased to 488k, the Corel 12 file was 3.6 meg.

Let me know if this works for you and what version of Corel Draw you are using.

Don Butler
02-29-2004, 7:57 AM
Steve,

Sorry, I saved the file in Corel version 12 originally but I just exported the file as a Corel Draw version 8 drawing which I hope you can open. Note that the file size decreased to 488k, the Corel 12 file was 3.6 meg.

Let me know if this works for you and what version of Corel Draw you are using.

Keith,
I'm using CorelDraw Suite 11 and it works well for me.
I have one little quirk going on which puzzles me, but isn't a problem. If I find the file in Explorer and click it, all I get is a new CorelDraw page with nothing on it. If I open it by starting Corel first, and then opening the .cdr, it works. I suspect it's because of the version difference.

Did you do the art work? It's quite elegant.

I'm not certain of the purpose of the file, though, but I guess it might be for engraving a pen.(?)

I'm not a pen maker, so I hope I can be forgiven for my ignorance. ;)

I use Corel in my woodworking for the purpose of illustrating the CAD drawings I make in perparing to build cabinets, spiral canes and whatever should be detailed before beginning work in the shop.

Regards,

Don

SteveKrim
02-29-2004, 8:58 AM
Hi Keith,

Got no problem - Is this one set up as a music box? That is what I am assuming the holes in the bottom plate are for.

Also, how do you do the pen engraving? Do you use the rotary attachment or a jig?

Thanks,

Steve

Keith Outten
02-29-2004, 3:34 PM
Steve,

Yes, the original longbox plans have holes for a music mechanism. Just delete the holes before you cut the bottom of the box.

I did use the rotary attachment at first for engraving pens. It was too slow and required more work than I figured it was worth for engraving a name. I built a simple plywood jig that works great, it is accurate and really fast.

I am working on something new now that will involve using the rotary attachment for pens. Since I am making pens myself these days I am working on a new design for engraving the entire surface of the pen. My new jig will use the rotary and I intend to leave the pen barrels on the mandrel to engrave them, then assemble the pen.

Hi Keith,

Got no problem - Is this one set up as a music box? That is what I am assuming the holes in the bottom plate are for.

Also, how do you do the pen engraving? Do you use the rotary attachment or a jig?

Thanks,

Steve

Dave Strickler
03-10-2005, 7:40 PM
I just tried this box for the first time. It vector cut beautifully, but for some reason, the designs did not engrave. Instead, it engraved as if the entire design rectangle was filled.......so I got frosted rectangles instead of the designs. The drawing in Corel 12 looks fine. Anyone have an idea what may be going wrong?

Aaron Koehl
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Too high speed and power for the raster portion?

Dave Strickler
03-11-2005, 1:18 PM
I finally figured it out. I had to add a white fill to the bitmap designs, then it engraved perfectly.

Shari Loveless
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Keith,

I just cut my first acrylic box. What fun! I didn't have any 1/4" acrylic, so I shrunk everything down to fit my 3/16" acrylic. It's such a cute little box. Now, how do I glue it together?:confused: I have no clue what to use. I read a previous post about Weld On acrylic glue, but I have none. Can I buy something at Home Depot or Ace Hardware that will work? Have the hair bands and a syringe. Do I need to order the special glue?
Thanks,
Shari

Ken Frisby
03-12-2005, 4:31 AM
You can get weld on or similiar at most hobby shops.

Keith Outten
03-12-2005, 7:15 AM
Shari,

I can't help you much with the glue. I use IPS Weld On #4 and purchase it from a local plastic supplier. I can't say I have seen it in any other store but Ken says check your local hobby shops so that might work. If you find Weld On #4 it is as thin as water and will almost run out of the syringe so be careful and apply the glue from the inside of the box and tip the box joint you are glueing down. THe trick is to use just a drop, the glue will ruin the surface of the acrylic so try to keep it from getting on the exposed surfaces.

Experiment with various colors of acrylic. I made boxes from the smoked gray acrylic and used a white oval inlay in the top that was kind of nice. A pair of lovebirds engraved on the oval made it really attractive.

Ken Frisby
03-12-2005, 7:35 AM
I like weld on #3 it's faster setting. You can use any plastic solvent based cemet. The hobby shops usually has a couple of brands, but they all do the same thing and are water thin. It's used for styrene, abs, acrylic, etc.