PDA

View Full Version : DC Collection Bin Question

Larry Fox
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I am in the process of installing a cyclone-based DC system and am looking at the collection bin and wondering if there is any particular reason that it has to be round. I have quite a bit of space under the cyclone and am considering building a large sealed box on wheels which will serve as the collection bin so that I can just disconnect it and wheel it out of the shop to dump it. I currently have a 35-gallon fiber drum and I can see myself having to dump this thing quite a bit. The room I have under makes me think that a square bin as I am considering would allow me the capacity of about 3 of the 55-gallon drums. However, when I look at the system, everything in the chain is generally round / cylindrical and I am wondering if this is just coincidence or if there is an airflow / efficiency reason for it. I looked on Bill P’s site and didn’t see this specifically addressed (although the site is dense and I might have just missed it).

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Greg Heppeard
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't think the collection bin has a required geometric shape. I used to work for a guy that had his cyclone dumping directly into a small grain elevator that moved the debris to a hopper wagon that he had parked outside. It sure made emptying the thing very easy.

David Giles
01-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe it's to accommodate big trash bags?

Rob Will
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Larry,
I need to do the same thing. In my case, I could roll the bin out to the door, and pick it up with a forklift. I agree, that most round drums don't hold enough. If we went to 55 gal drums, they would be heavy and hard to dump. So that points toward a big square box.

As far as "air flow" goes, there should not be any flow inside of the box. In fact, the square corners might help to kill any swirl effect created by the cyclone.

Will this airtight box be made of plywood with a cleanout door?

I hope you get some good answers to this interesting question.

Rob

Todd Crow
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I built a square box for my dust bin. I went from a 30 gal trash can (which was to tall) to this box which holds about 50 gal. The only time I have an issue is when I am doing a lot of planing on woods like pine with my 20" Grizzly. The shaving pile up in the center of the bin and don't get spread around the bin. But that happened with the trash can as well, but it wasn't as pronounced.

Todd

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/DCP_0813.jpg

Larry Fox
01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Will this airtight box be made of plywood with a cleanout door?

Rob, yes, plywood is the most likely candidate for it's construction although I was going to make the side most visible from the shop out of Lexan so that I can glance over at it and quickly determine how full it is. As far as general construction, I was thinking of a simple number as big as I could reasonable fit under and with wheelbarrow wheels on it for easy rolling. I was considering just a fold down handle of some sort so that it doesn’t get in the way.

In terms of dumping, I was thinking of a trap of some sort that I could just open and shovel it out. I don’t have far to go to the pile in the woods where I tend to dump dust and chips.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
The shape is of little concern as long as you can easily empty it. The most important thing is that is has to be ABSOLUTELY sealed when in use. No leaks...even little ones. Blow-by into your filters will result.

Todd Franks
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Larry,

I too am putting together my cyclone system and need to build a square box in order to maximize cubic inches due to low ceiling height. One potential issue I can think of with a square bin is that you may have to beat the side of the dust bin occasionally to encourage the dust to fill in the corners.

Todd Crow,
BTW, I like the way you did your casters on your dust bin. I've been trying to figure out how to install casters without wasting space underneath or having them mounted on the side getting in the way. This is exactly the solution I was looking for. Seems so obvious now, why didn't I think of that to begin with.:o

Roy Wall
01-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Rob, yes, plywood is the most likely candidate for it's construction although I was going to make the side most visible from the shop out of Lexan so that I can glance over at it and quickly determine how full it is. As far as general construction, I was thinking of a simple number as big as I could reasonable fit under and with wheelbarrow wheels on it for easy rolling. I was considering just a fold down handle of some sort so that it doesn’t get in the way.

In terms of dumping, I was thinking of a trap of some sort that I could just open and shovel it out. I don’t have far to go to the pile in the woods where I tend to dump dust and chips.

Larry - Just had a thought........

I don't know how expensive Lexan is.....but if you made an entire side out of lexan - you could set it in dados to slide up and down for shoveling out - plus you'd see it filling up as you go. Might not be tough/durable enough though.....the window is a good idea.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't know how expensive Lexan is.....but if you made an entire side out of lexan - you could set it in dados to slide up and down for shoveling out - plus you'd see it filling up as you go. Might not be tough/durable enough though.....the window is a good idea.

I like the idea of a window (and have one in the top of my bin), but having it sliding may make it very difficult to get the total seal you need.

John Thompson
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
To add to what Jim said about sealing... empty it before you think it needs to be emptied. Wouldn't hurt to put a plex-i-glass window in the front so you can see the chip level.

I emptied my cyclone after I finished a bed. I emptied it after I had jointed and planed down S2 stock for a chest of drawers. Then I had quite to bit of stock to plane for drawer sides and backs. It was empty when I started and about 40 pieces of stock I had to take from 3/4" to 5/8". Thats' just 1/8" on each piece and if you re-sawed 40 1/8" pieces and stacked them, you would have a stacked pile probably around 12"-14" high.

But.. towards the end of planing I sensed the cyclone not picking up the chips as well. Upon inspection.. the drum was full and backed into the cyclone. The entire fine filter cartridge cavity was full of chips and forced the fine dust deep into the double cartridges.

I spent 2 1/2 to 3 hours yesterday blowing cartrigages with compressed air.. a 140 mph leaf blower and a bunch of light tapping on the outside of the cartridges. It was a job indeed....

Empty the bins often... don't guess at when. Inspect and when you think you could get by just a little longer.... Empty it Then.. :)

Sarge..