PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Charging a Bandsaw

Burt Alcantara
01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I've got the G0555 bandsaw. I've been eyeing the G514x2 but the price keeps me at bay. Recently, I viewed a turning DVD where the instructor had a plain jane 14" bandsaw upgraded with a 3 hp motor. He stated that the saw rips thru everything without a burp of any kind.

Since 3 hp would supply a huge increase in torque over my current motor (1hp?) would this stress the frame in a bad way?

I cut logs up to the size that I can get to pass thru the blade. I've got a 3/4x3 VPC blade but still get a lot of deflection even creeping along at 1" per hour.

Thanks,
Burt

Dennis Ford
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
You are probably already stressing the machine by cutting log sections on it. More horsepower should make your cutting MUCH more enjoyable. It is likely you will wear out the saw quicker with a motor upgrade. Will this be due to additional stress or due to you using the saw more because it works better? When you eventually wear out the saw, then you should upgrade to a larger saw.
;)

John Thompson
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
True 3 HP is probably as much as you will need as a true 2 HP is plenty I find. But.. the smaller saw IMO will not have the size springs on it nor probably the back-bone to run a 3/4" blade. You should consider going to a 1/2" blade with your saw and see what gives.

But... as mentioned, if you make a habit of cutting logs frequently.. I would just save the money and up-grade to a BS with larger wheels to handle a longer band.. more HP.. heavier springs and heavier back-bone to accomodate the whole thing.

Sarge..

Burt Alcantara
01-07-2008, 1:11 PM
I think I've worn out the saw already. I've broken the tension arms and the guides are in the toilet. At present, the saw is an unguided moving blade. Sounds dangerous but it works except for the deflection.

I tried a 1/2 blade but the deflection was very bad. Suffolk suggested the 3/4.

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get the bigger saw.

Thanks,
Burt

Larry Browning
01-07-2008, 1:52 PM
I think Bert is not using his real name. I think his real name is Tim "the tool man" Taylor:D