PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth swapping BS motors?

Paul Arnold
01-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I have a Delta 14" BS with a 3/4hp motor turning 1750rpms. I also have a 1-1/2hp motor turning at 3450rpms. Would it be worth it to change the 3/4hp to the 1-1/2hp? If I changed the pulley on the BS to twice the diameter of the one on the motor would that get me down to 1750rpms on the 1-1/2hp motor? Would that kill the torque, which wouldn't make it worth it at all?

Thanks,
Paul

"Jason Belous"
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Paul,

Your going to get mixed opinions on motor size. everyone seems to think bigger is better. A properly tuned 3/4hp saw with the proper blade and proper tension should do everything you need it to. Check some back issues of fine woodworking on bandsaw set ups and you may not feel the need to switch motors. I find that my 14" with a 3/4hp jet will resaw just about anything.

Dennis Ford
01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
This is one of the mixed opinions. You already have the larger motor, why not use it? Due to the motor speed difference, you will need to make at least one pulley change. Your choices are:
* use a motor pulley 1/2 the size of the existing motor pulley
* use a band saw pulley twice the size of the existing band saw pulley
* use some combination of smaller motor pulley and larger band saw pulley
* add a jackshaft to get to the correct speed

It is possible that these changes may not fit in the existing belt guard, and you may decide to keep the existing motor or buy a larger 1725 rpm motor.
;)

Lee Schierer
01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I agree with the bigger is not always better group. I found that on my Delta 14" that didn't seem to have enough Hp a@3/4 Hp that what was really wrong with the saw was the fact that the drive belt wasn't tensioned properly. Once I tensioned the belt, I was able to resaw 6" thick maple and oak with little problem.

Paul Arnold
01-07-2008, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just leave well enough alone and have a spare if my TS motor blows up...or wait, I could mount it piggyback to my TS motor have a 3hp motor, nah never work:(