PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box completed! (PICS)

Mark Stutz
02-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I started this box over 6 years ago! Yes, I'm slow, but not that slow! ;) This was truly a lesson in woodworking. It has been moved three times and worked on in three different shops. I put it away the first time after I took out a big gouge trying to cut off the lid on the tablesaw. (Didn't have the bandsaw). Later I cut down the lid and put in a patch. So far no one that has seen it has noticed. :) Banged an edge very badly during a move, hence the maple banding around the top. Too much glue squeeze out on the inside...therefore the inside molding. Sanded thru the veneer top, so repaired it with acrylic paint. I haven't used thin veneer since, though want to try to make some 1/8 in the shop.
All in all it turned out pretty good. (Be gentle, its my first project post!!)

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2004, 11:10 PM
(Be gentle, its my first project post!!)

Gentle? Mark, that's a great project. I like the bird's eye and the use of figured maple as accent. It makes for a nice touch. The wood selection works great here. Way to go!

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Well Mark.....you may be slow....but you sure did make one very NICE jewelry box.!!!! Very well done..!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey Mark....

I forgot to ask.....is the top covered with thin veneer? If so, how did you to the nice clean cuts to get the veneer inlayed?

Lars Thomas
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Mark, 'Be gentle' You have got to be kidding. You don't need to make any excuses, that's a beautiful box.

However, you should receive 6 lashes. You've set a precedent that we need to come clean (list the mistakes) on each project posting. I, for one, won't be doing that. I'd put you all to sleep reading such long posts. :D

Mark Singer
02-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Mark,
Great job! A lot of different skills are demonstrated in this project and you have them!

Mark Stutz
02-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Dennis,
Thanks for thie kind words. The walnut is veneer, but the birdseye maple was thin stock, about 3/16. I used a template with a brass bushing set and carbide spiral bit. It is a template routing set with a dual bushing to rout out the field and the inlay with the same template. The removable part of the bushing compensates for the diameter of the bit. Only minimal sanding is needed.

Joe Bourbois
02-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Very nice jewelry box, Mark! I know what you mean about a multi-year jewelry box project surviving multiple moves. I had the same situation, but wasn't as persistent as you. After the second set of moving damage, my cherry box went into my smoker and gave a nice flavor to some baby back ribs, so it wasn't a total loss.

Todd Burch
02-27-2004, 3:59 AM
_VERY_ nice Mark!

Tony Falotico
02-27-2004, 6:12 AM
Mark -- That's one beautiful box. The late Bob Ross (Landscape painter who used to be on Public TV) use to say "there are no mistakes -- just happy accidents". Your series of "Happy Accidents" created details you wouldn't have otherwise added, creating quite a nice finished product.

Anyway, 6 yrs isn't bad! As I tell LOML, you can't rush into things without careful planning; Then I tell her I've got to find the 'right' materials; then I tell her you can't rush the process; then I tell her .......

Terry Quiram
02-27-2004, 7:01 AM
Mark

Are you kidding? Thats a great looking box! Chasing mistakes can make for some of the neatest innovative designs. DAMHIKT :D Well done, it was worth the wait.

Terry

Dick Parr
02-27-2004, 7:10 AM
Mark, that's outstanding!

Waymon Campbell
02-27-2004, 7:38 AM
Nice contrast in woods. Nicely done...

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-27-2004, 7:49 AM
It looks great to me. Did it start out as a birthday or Christmas present?

KC

Kurt Aebi
02-27-2004, 7:59 AM
Mark,

I see absolutely nothing to beat you up about. The box looks great, you should be proud of the good work you did on it.

Remember those aren't mistakes just opportunities to better your skills and knowledge. A man once told me that not making mistakes doesn't measure a man - what measures a man is how well he can recover from a mistake. You measure up there with the best of them - Can't see a single flaw in your box - without your description - I'd swear you never made a single mistake in building it, you are a great recoverer and therefore a great man!

Great Job and keep on learning more techniques through trial and error, our Best teacher.

Post more of your projects when you get them done, this one loks great and I'm sure there are others that look great as well.

Jim Becker
02-27-2004, 8:31 AM
That's a great project, Mark. The lines are clean and the contrast between the species is really nice.

Chris Padilla
02-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Mark,

I've always loved the contrast that maple and walnut together provide. You've done an excellent job here...it was 6 years well spent! :)

My wife and I were trying to do this on a very large entertainment center (see the Design Forum) and it just wasn't working out for our eyes.

I am now realizing that although this mixture of woods is fantastic...perhaps it is so only on a small scale like a nightstand or a jewelry box. For the large scale EC I was working on, it just wasn't coming out well.

Thanks!

Julie Wright
02-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Absolutely Beautiful !!! I dont know what else to say.
Very Purty !!!

Mark Valsi
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Wow,

A great job !!

mark

Stan Smith
02-27-2004, 2:28 PM
Well, Mark, another special agent who was my partner against crime. You to say I made Triple S's (Stan Smith Screwups). Now Mark, I know your last name begins with "S" so........ :D Looks like the difference between you and me is that the boo boos that happened to your project were used to make it even better. Congratulations! You can see by my sign off what happens to my projects.

Stan