PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
7 Jan 2008
Happy New Year and Welcome to 2008!!!!!

Woke up this morning to a spring like day with temps in the upper 60's and yes, this seems to be very odd for January temps. But as we always say around here: Just wait 5 minutes and the weather will change.

No woodworking for me this past weekend. Just a lot of work at the day job as well as spending a good bit of time learning some new music that we are now doing at our church. I'm trying to advance in my bass playing skills, but I guess as a musician, we are never really satisfied with our playing skills.

Watched a couple of movies with the kids, took one of my old computers and reworked it with part from another machine and built them a new machine with a better wireless network setup. They are happy and that makes me happy too.

I am planning on being in the shop some today since the weather is nice and I can finish spraying the lacquer on a couple of pieces I've been working on.
The Walnut Table Project is still in the works and I will start back on that project in a week or so.

That's it for me.....so what did YOU do this weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.

Lee Koepke
01-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I built a small bookcase for the wife this weekend. Yes. I bought lumber, cut, assembled, AND finished a project in one weekend. That alone is an accomplishment in my world.

I also started reorgainzing my shop a bit, I am dismantling some previous homeowners installation in preparation of my future Media room in the basement.

As always, it was a great weekend.

Mark Valsi
01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Finally got some work done on the new bed I'm making.

With a small car, the problem this week will be getting 7 foot long wood into my car for delivery home!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Cleaned a little around the place.

Got a lathe piece nearly finished. I need to buy another 3" faceplate for the PM so I can build a donut chuck for it and leave the faceplate attached. I finish turned a maple burl project and applied finish. I still need to turn the tenon off. I hope this turns out. The Creeker who gave me the wood....the wood came from his father's tree and his father died a few weeks ago. Most of the burl split on me even though it was sealed. I think I'm going to get about 3 pieces out of a ton or more of blanks. The rest will be firewood. I've got 3 chances to turn something and get back to the guy.

Tony De Masi
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Little bit of shop time putting finishes on some recent turnings. Took down all the Christmas decorations and did one last leaf removal.

However the bigger news is that I retired at close of business last Saturday.

Tony

Tyler Howell
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Worked the punch list. Lots of shop time. Planning for the new shop too.
Be safe.

Todd Franks
01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Attached is my major accomplishment for the weekend. I reassembled the painted MDF parts, caulked everything real good, loosely mounted the motor/impeller assembly to the frame and attached the blower/cyclone body assembly. The frame is a little wobbly front to back so I need to add more gussets to the frame before I feel comfortable temporarily starting it up.

I also fired up my Christmas present on Saturday. LOML got me a smoker and I tried my hand at some pork baby back ribs. Mmmmmmm.....

-Todd

alex grams
01-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Built a simple cabinet for over the toilet in the master bathroom, for books, air fresheners and such, and with two doors to store TP and other stuff.

Finished the two pair of doors for the laundry room cabinets. These are all white painted cabinets just for storage, so no fancy finishing or such.

Built up plans for a small storage shed in the back yard for lawnmower/wheelbarrel/garden tools and such. Mainly so i can clear out a lot of my yard equipment from the garage and give me more room in there and still allow the wife to park in there when she wants. It seems a simple 6x6 to 8x8 slabbed storage shed will run me about 700-900, so i still want to find some ways to come down on that price to around 500-600. Most of the cost comes from the siding and painting it and a door. So i will build the door i suppose and look for cheaper siding alternatives than hardiplank.

Got my tenoning jig in and am still about to bite the bullet on a bench top mortising machine as well as the G0548 2hp grizzly dust collector. I was undecided on everything until they dropped the price 100$. I didnt want a 220 machine but did want larger capacity. I only have 1 240 line in my garage at the moment and 2 120 with 2 more slots available, so the other 220 would max out my breaker box, but o well. It would have been nice to run another 1-2 dedicated 120 lines, but with two dedicated lines i can make my machinery work.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I ripped out one of the old barn-wood cabinets in the great room, and thus discovered that "Acme Build-it-with-barn-parts Construction Company, Ltd" (very limited hopefully...) didn't put any floor under said cabinets. I also started repairing that wall since it also wasn't mudded correctly behind things. 'Still have one more to rip out once I find a place to put what's inside of it.

I also was back in the shop working on the nightstands which I'll report about later in the thread.

Eric DeSilva
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Actually spent some time in my shop, so I can actually respond to one of these posts! Managed to finish putting together my JDS cyclone DC system (scary that I ended up with a bit of foam sealer that is supposed to be tucked into the middle of the whole assembly, only they never note that anywhere in the instructions... oh well, it seems to suck pretty efficiently). I also moved my 2nd hand 8" Grizzly jointer into the basement shop, cleaned it up, aligned the tables, put it on a mobile base, wired it up, and got it working. Glued up some frameless wall cabinets for the garage and got three of four ready for finishing...

Dick Rowe
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Finished up two end tables for my daughter.

Tables are constructed using Ash with Purpleheart accents.

Firsts for me are the ceramic tile top, and my first 'real' project on my lathe, turning the Purpleheart pull handles for the drawers.

Matt Meiser
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
No Woodworking for me other than spending time reading the new Grizzly catalog again and a stop at Rockler. Wednesday night I flew to St. Louis for a couple days in the office: meeting on a new project I'm getting involved in on Thursday and our annual all-company meeting on Friday, followed by our company holiday party on Friday evening. Spent the night at Union Staion Friday night and then spent Saturday visiting family. Sunday we spent virtually the whole day at the airport. Northwest asked for volunteers to take a bump off a 1:30 flight in exchange for $300 travel vouchers so LOML and I did that, but had to stick around 8:30 for another flight--so I put in about 4 hours working yesterday to get a head start on the week and give myself a little free time later in the week. The replacement flight was on Southwest and in the wierdest business move I've seen, Northwest wrote a check to Southwest and had us carry it over to buy the tickets from Southwest.

This week it will be back to the cabinets for my parents.

Jim Podsedly
01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I finished milling and cutting the boards for step stools for my twin nephews.

The Oak came from the folks land. Still need to route in the names, glue and apply finish to them.

Jim

Steven Shelby
01-07-2008, 1:00 PM
Happily, much of my weekend revolved around woodworking.

I spent a couple hours each day completing a tool storage cabinet. My shop is in deep need of storage for smaller tools and gadgets like levels, bevel guages, speed squares, sockets, and odds and ends... This will provide alot of help in that area.

DW and I spent a good bit of time finalizing the design for her new dining room buffets and china cabinet. These are the next projects on the list with work to begin as soon as the new band saw and jointer arrive.

Oops... I forgot that part..

Santa was very good to me this year! He worked with the fine folks at Grizzly to arrange for the delivery (later this week) of a new G0555 band saw and a new G0604X 6 inch jointer. I plan of dedicating some time this week to the prep of the shop to accomodate the new equipment. Can't wait!!!

We have new additions to our family that are taking alot of our time and attention: Rocky and Sierra are Miniature Australian Shepherd puppies... Now 7 months old. With the weather so bad, they haven't been able to get out and run much. So now that the snow is melting, we made a point of giving them alot of attention and excercise. They are such a joy! Pictures are coming. Really!

John Cooper2
01-07-2008, 1:17 PM
Not much woodworking time, but did some shop related things.

1. Did a major cleanup / bearing replacement on my 1950 Delta 1460 Lathe.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/jcoop0001/Delta%20Lathe/lathers14.jpg

2. Worked on my stand for my 1945 Unisaw. I am 6'6" tall and hate to bend over all of the time so I am raising it up about 7". Using steel so I am getting some welding time in too.

Hope to work more on the saw during the week. I have it torn apart to replace belts, make the stand and just general service on it.

J
o
h
n

Matt Crew
01-07-2008, 1:43 PM
I didn't actually get any shop time, but I did hange the door I built in little bro's basement.
First door I've ever built. Made it out of pine so if I messed up it wouldn't hurt too bad.
I promised him I'd make another one out of some real wood in the spring.

Nancy Laird
01-07-2008, 2:12 PM
Friday, I spent all day running laser projects - one job on each laser. Got one finished, the other about 1/3 done.

Saturday LOML and I spent the day at a customer's house installing cabinet doors and drawer fronts in their kitchen--with about 46 cabinet doors and 18 drawer fronts, we got about 2/3 finished hanging doors and putting hardware on.

LOML went back yesterday and finished up almost all, while I stayed home, put away Christmas decorations and did some housework that has been neglected.

Also found out that Daddy isn't progressing in his stroke recovery as rapidly as mother and sis would like me to believe. My BIL gave me the real scoop--that he may not be able to walk again, at least without assistance. His therapy isn't doing much to help (but then, he isn't doing much to help the therapists along--he's really stubborn). As I told a friend over the weekend, it is breaking my heart to know that my tall, handsome, and strong dad is now reduced to sitting in a wheelchair and wearing diapers. I'll be in Tennessee by the end of the month for a family council, that's for sure.

Today I'm back at the lasers, with both of them running and trying to finish up that second job that's pending. It's cold in New Mexico, raining and snowing and being generally ugly. Gary K., you and Barb wouldn't like it here right now.:(

Happy week, everyone!

Nancy

Fred Voorhees
01-07-2008, 2:51 PM
Spent a good amount of the weekend doing some final spraying of three of the kitchen cabinets that I am building for our sons house. Two more will be done as soon as some rearranging is done in their kitchen. My first time trying to spray a project and am using ZAR waterborne polyurethane. Not using a HVLP unit, so there was a good amount of overspray. Fortunately, it is so fine that it dries in the air. Am applying the finish to the inside parts of the cabinets before assembly to make things much easier down the road. As it turned out, "Down the road" came on Sunday when I assembled the first two of the three and will get to the third today (Mon) after work (in a few minutes ;)

Jared Greenberg
01-07-2008, 3:17 PM
Some mudding and taping in the new shop. First application done...it is dry and ready for the next application. So close to the end....

JayStPeter
01-07-2008, 3:28 PM
I thought I might complete my workbench this weekend. I cut the two pieces for the vice faces for my end vice. I'm using a LV large face vice as my end vice. I had used the smaller face vice as my face vice and had perfect results using their template. So, with the confidence of the first vice, I machined my pieces and used the template to make all the holes and such. Well, the template that came with the large vice was bad. I can see that LV fixed the problem since my small vice is newer. The manual is common, and the older manual had both templates in it while the newer came on a separate sheet. I suspect they had scaling problems in the manual printing and removed the templates to separate sheets. LV is mailing me a new template. But, whatever the case, I now have two large hunks of 8/4 maple with holes precicely drilled in the wrong place. It took the wind out of my sails and I left the shop for the weekend frustrated. Since the last of the 8/4 maple is too small, I either need another piece or need to decide to make the jaws a few inches smaller as I can't really see how to save the parts I have. Neither option appeals to me much. So much for imminent completion of my two year in the making bench. :mad:

Dave MacArthur
01-07-2008, 7:22 PM
My boys (3 & 4) decided they wanted a dinosaur, and to play with their "toolkits" they got for Christmas. So I started on a brontosaurus for one and a triceratops for the other. We glued up the wood together, and I band sawed out the shape and some side countouring; and screwed on the moveable heads. Then they each got on their new work gloves, and each got a rasp and 60 grit sand block, and a vise.

The rasped and sanded a wee bit, but decided the beasts were PERFECT and ran off to play with them before the glue-lines had even been rasped off LOL!
To date, it is their BEST WORK, and certainly some of my most rewarding--I woke up this morning to some growling, and upon opening my eyes, found myself nose to nose with these two dinosaurs sitting on the edge of my bed... each one held by a boy hiding below the edge of the bed growling away.

Don't know how I used to justify my woodshop before, but I do now.

Dave Sinkus
01-07-2008, 7:54 PM
My first one, so I kept it.
It is made up mostly with soft maple, cherry, and walnut.

Hand rubbed with 2 coats of Mahoney's Walnut Oil and a coat of Mahoney's Wax from Rockler.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/dsinkus01/Entry%20door%20project/?action=view&current=IMG_1665.jpg

The photo is my artistic attempt at a still life. I have appropriately called it "Still life on the cutting board I completed" :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking

Jeff Cybulski
01-07-2008, 8:37 PM
No shop time. Weather was in the 70's so cleaned up more of the trees on Saturday, lost 3 games on Gin to LOML and whatched the Steelers fall apart. Sunday was more trees. then replacing a window regulator on LOML's BMW 328. Nice to work on a German engineered car. They know how to make things so you can take it apart and put it back together with no chewed up arms ( for those that have replaced GM power window regulators in the past you know what I'm talking about)

Have a safe week!

Jeff