PDA

View Full Version : Routing Question

Sean Troy
01-07-2008, 9:22 AM
Simple question from a simple mind. I should know this but what bit should I use to route out the extension mitre slots on a TS outfeed table with an MDF top and Poly seal? Thanks, Sean

Michael McCoy
01-07-2008, 9:48 AM
I generally just use a straight bit.

Dave Falkenstein
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Use a straight bit followed by a slot cutter if you need a t-shaped slot.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2008, 10:40 AM
3/4".............

Art Mann
01-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Use a straight bit. The size isn't important, but you will need to make the slots wider than 3/4" so that alignment between the saw table and outfeed table is not critical. If you use a bit narrower than 1" or so, you will need to make 2 passes to get enough width. By the way, make the groove a little deeper than 3/8" for the same reason.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Use a straight bit. The size isn't important, but you will need to make the slots wider than 3/4" so that alignment between the saw table and outfeed table is not critical. If you use a bit narrower than 1" or so, you will need to make 2 passes to get enough width. By the way, make the groove a little deeper than 3/8" for the same reason.

I agree. It's very, very hard to "match" up a slot from the cast iron into the outfeed solution, especially since wood moves. Make it wider and a proverbial hair deeper to insure there is no binding of the miter bar. Making it bigger gives you the clearance you need and want over time.

Sean Troy
01-07-2008, 1:22 PM
As always, thanks for the help, Sean