PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base for Powermatic Jointer?

Carl Schellenberg
01-07-2008, 9:18 AM
My Powermatic 8 inch jointer Model 60B is Mounted on the Powermatic Mobil Base. When using the jointer I find that it continues to move over the floor in the direction I am pushing the lumber. I have tried to lock the base as much as possible but it continues to creep across the floor. Does anyone recommend an aftermarket mobil base that will stay in place and yet be easy to move the jointer when necessary.

Thanks
Carl Schellenberg

Mark Hoffman
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I use a Shop Fox base under my Grizzly jointer and it stays put when i want it to and moves easily when i need it to.

Thomas Kila
01-08-2008, 6:34 AM
Carl, I use the PM base on my 8" jointer, and have had the same problem you described. However, after changing the front caster to a Zambus caster, my jointer no longer moves (when I don't want it to). I do have to warn you that the Zambus casters aren't exactly cheap.:D

Carl Schellenberg
01-08-2008, 8:52 AM
Carl, I use the PM base on my 8" jointer, and have had the same problem you described. However, after changing the front caster to a Zambus caster, my jointer no longer moves (when I don't want it to). I do have to warn you that the Zambus casters aren't exactly cheap.:D
Thomas, Thanks very much. Could you tell me which Zambus model you used and where to get them? All I seem to find is the web site with no prices.
Thanks again
Carl

fred woltersdorf
01-08-2008, 9:10 AM
carl, i picked up a pm 60 jointer 2 weeks ago. i don't know if there is any difference in the size of the 60b, but the footprint on mine is 16-1/2" x 26". i just ordered one of these delta mobile bases for it. i have 2 of these also, one on my mm16 bandsaw and one on a jet 9" disc/belt sander.the inside dimensions are 16-3/4" x 27". they are well made and i think resonably priced.http://www.absolutehome.com//web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=92849

michael flay
01-09-2008, 2:27 AM
Just an idea but have you tried blocking the wheels with a wedge to stop it from moving? Could be a cheap solution.