PDA

View Full Version : Dado blades, wobble or stacked?

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Which is prefered? I've never had a dado blade, always used a router, but I have a project which will require one, so I thought I'd do a little research before I head off and buy one. I would think that the stacked would be a better choice, the wobble style would tend to vibrate? Just looking for some thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance!

Phil Hudak
03-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Stacked.

Not even a close call.

The Jesada has worked beautifully for me...

HTH,

Phil Hudak

Bob Lasley
03-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Definately stacked. A wobble dado will cut something that almost resembles a dado. If you buy a wobble now, sooner or later you will buy a stacked set. DAMHIKT

There are some good stacked sets out there that cut a nice clean bottom for a reasonable price. Freud and Jesada both make good sets for around $150 for the six inch sets. There are better sets available for more money of course. I have the Jesada and it has done a good job for me.

Bob

Randy Miller
03-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Stacked!

The Freud 6" set works great. Nice flat bottom, square sides, clean cuts. What more can you ask for.

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the timely responses, Bob & Phil. How about another question, how come they come in 6"? I've seen that in catalogs and always wondered why. Because you don't cut all the way through the wood, so no need to be bigger diameter? I figured I'd get the response for stacked being the better choice. Are the wobbles just a cheap alternative? Also, sorry 1 more, I remember reading a post on Badger Pond about the outer blades on a stacked set are a little bigger than the chippers, for glue run-off. Is this true, and should I look for this when buying? I appreciate the reply's, thanks.

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
No question...without any doubt...Stacked.

They are more expensive than the wobbly style but do a cleaner job because they are more accurate. There's lots of info out there on which ones to buy...and most importantly how to safely use them. Even though most of the cutting is done without the teeth exposed...there's lots of teeth that can do lots of damage on fleshy appendages.

That said...Table saws make for quick dados, but they don't leave an absolutely flat bottom groove. This is because the outermost cutters of the dado set have a slightly larger radius than the inner chippers so they don't tear. You can get them ground to do better...but...On the other hand, routers can produce a perfect (well at least a much better) dado, but they usually require several passes to get to the required depth. You can combine the two approaches to get both speed and accuracy. Simply cut the dado about 1/16 of an inch shallower than intended on the table saw, then take a quick, light pass with the router to clean up the bottom.

That said...some would say that the "horn" in a blade cut dado is a good thing. It allows glues to release.

See there's more to everything in woodworking than meets the eye. AND I'm sure many more will come in with thier own experience and knowledge.

Bob Lasley
03-05-2003, 1:00 PM
Joe,

The stacked sets typically are available in six and eight inch sizes. As you stated, the depth of normal dado, rabbets and grooves do not require a large diameter cutter. Six inch sets are normally recommended for lower hp saws, such as contractors saws though many folks run eight inch sets on those too. Plus, six inch sets are less money than eight inch sets. I am running six inch as I bought it when I had a low hp saw. I have yet to max it out on depth.

My outside blades are the same diameter as the chippers, although they do cut cut very slight grooves on each side, kind of like tiny ears. This helps eliminate tear out in the bottom of the dado.

The wobbles are cheap, but not an alternative for fine work. I have one that I only use on my radial arm saw and only for building outdoor trellises and such in red cedar.

Bob

Phil Hudak
03-05-2003, 1:03 PM
Joe:

They come in 6" for contractors saws; 6" has a smaller moment of inertia as compared to an 8" - much easier on the contractor saw's smaller motor(relative to a cabinet saw). I run an 8" on a Unisaw, and it takes a godd bit o' time to wind-down.

The wobble is a cheap alternative - it cuts a radiused bottom.

I've never heard that outside blade/glue thing - doesn't mean it's not true, but I've never noticed nothing but flat bottoms with uniform depth using my Jesada.

Phil Hudak

Rob Russell
03-05-2003, 1:12 PM
Absolutely agree - stacked dado over wobble. I've got the 8" Forrest Dado King set and have been very happy with it. Of course, for what it costs, it should be good. IMHO, a dado set (or any saw blade) is one of those things to spend the money on and go top notch because it shows in the quality of the cut.

Rob

Mike Goodwin
03-05-2003, 1:18 PM
I run the Freud 8" set in my Delta contractor saw and it works like a champ. I wouldn't get the 6" set unless you had a specific use for it or a very underpowered saw.

I bought a cheap 8" set at Woodcraft and ended up taking advantage of their return policy. Buy quality!

Mike

Tim Spickler
03-05-2003, 1:46 PM
I have an 8" Oldham stacked dado set. It does a fair job, but the chippers are are exactly all the same, so the bottm of the dado can have small (verry small) ridges in the bottom. When I bought that set I never considered buying a 6" set. With a 6" set you could cut dados to a depth of 1" to 1 1/2". That's probably plenty deep enough for my hobbiest applications.

Jerry Todd
03-05-2003, 2:04 PM
Stacked.
The October 98 issue of Wood Magazine did a test of Premium Dado Sets. In the $150 to $200 price range they gave the nod to: Freud SD508, CMT & Jeseda sets. Based on the tests I purchased the Freud SD508 and have been happy.
Jerry (still in Miami)

Scott Coffelt
03-05-2003, 3:12 PM
on a 10" saw to use a 6" set. The 8" sets are for bigger saws. Don't know if it is true, as I have a 8" for my saw (1023S).

Jim Izat
03-05-2003, 3:18 PM
I have the 8" Forrest on my unisaw and it works great, but there have been time when I've wished for a 10" set. I use mine often for cutting bridle joints and tennon shoulders, that sort of thing. Can't ever have too much power or too much depth of cut!

Jim Izat

(coincidentally it was just this week I was wishing I had a 12 or 14" saw. I needed to cut some 4 and 5 inch stock and couldn't in one pass. It's a disease, I know......)

Don Voegel
03-05-2003, 3:48 PM
Joe, When I began woodworking I bought a wobble blade because it was less expensive. Mistake. I couldn't get it to cut smoothly and setting the width was a pain. Bought a Jesada stack set and have been happy ever since. Don

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2003, 4:07 PM
You don't want one :(

I swear I saw an add for an 8" Freud stacked set for about $89 very recently - might have been the woodworkers warehouse mailer I got recently. Here's their web site:
<a href="http://www.woodworkerswarehouse.com/" target="_new">http://www.woodworkerswarehouse.com/</a> They have a delta set on the home page for $89 (69 for 6") are they any good?

I could be wrong - the old gray cells haven't been working too well lately

Also as far as safety: I bought a little 8" craftsman table saw & the guy I got it from had left his wobble dado blade on it once & forgot to take it off. He needed to make a quick cut on a small peice of wood, fired up the saw & ran it through. He showed me the end result - not pretty. Make sure you take the dado blade off as soon as your done with it.

Mark Patoka
03-05-2003, 4:52 PM
Don't even waste your time with a wobble. I bought when I first started woodworking because it was cheaper but you can't get a flat bottom unless it's exactly 3/4" wide. Any other width and it will be radiused. It's also a real pain to adjust.

I picked up a stacked set but I'm about equal between using a router or the TS for dadoes. Depends what I'm doing at the time.

Stan Smith
03-05-2003, 6:38 PM
Everybody is giving you great advice. I have the 6" Jesada which I run on my Jet xacta ts. I previously had a contr delta ts and I buggered up the threads on the arbor trying to put on and take off the dado set. I finally took my dremel and ground the holes out very very very slightly (one pass with the grinder wheel) The set goes on and off with no problemo now. Don't do any grinding unless you absolutely have to. You will need an auxillary fence if you use the dado set to make rabbet cuts.

Stan

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 7:02 PM
Holy cow...left for lunch this afternoon with 2 replies, now over 15!!!! Thanks a million for all the great replies! I figured what the outcome would be...so I'll definatly be getting a stacked set. I'll look into the Frued sets. I just looked and the Jesada set on their site is $369...LOML would love me no more! This is for a 10" contractor saw. Like I previously stated, I usually use a router, but I've got a special application that requires an odd size, which I don't have a bit for, and I feel like I should probably have a dado set...call it "tool-hording":D You guys are great...I can't believe the responses I've been getting here! Keep up the good work.. Is this the Freud blade that a couple of you discussed? It's in the price range I'm looking at.

Jim Talbert
03-05-2003, 8:21 PM
We sharpen about 25 stacked sets to every 1 wobble set. The 8 inch stacked sets are what we see the most of.
Depending on the dado set manufactuer the outer blade tips can run from flush with the chippers, to 32 - 49 thousandths of an inch taller than the chippers.
I think you would be much happier with a stacked set even though a good set will run more than the wobble set.
Jim Talbert
Cardinal Tool Sharpening

Ben Mathews
03-05-2003, 8:38 PM
I bought the Freud Professional 8" set for my Jet contractor's saw about a year and a half ago, and it has worked very well. I would definitely recomment it! I have been trying to convince a friend of mine to dump the wobble and buy a stacked set, but he is too stubborn. He also didn't listen about that Black and Decker router...or the Tool Shop drill press...or the bargain band saw blades...

Ben

Lynn Kasdorf
03-05-2003, 9:21 PM
Originally posted by Jim Izat
I have the 8" Forrest on my unisaw and it works great, but there have been time when I've wished for a 10" set. I use mine often for cutting bridle joints and tennon shoulders, that sort of thing. Can't ever have too much power or too much depth of cut!

Jim Izat

(coincidentally it was just this week I was wishing I had a 12 or 14" saw. I needed to cut some 4 and 5 inch stock and couldn't in one pass. It's a disease, I know......)

I concur. I have a 12" saw and LOVE the extra capacity, like for working with 4x4's. I have a 10" stacked dado set for that saw.

I'd suggest the 8" set. If you are loading the saw too much, make the cut in a few passes.

Ed Falis
03-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Here's another brand to look at: Ridge Carbide (http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/dado_northwoods.htm). These guys supposedly worked at Forrest before striking out on their own. What I do know is that I haven't seen the combination of 4-tooth cutters they provide in that price range ($169). The resulting cuts are beautiful on my 10" cabinet saw.

- Ed

Jason Roehl
03-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Okay, there's too much consensus here, so I'll stand up and say it:

Hello. My name's Jason Roehl. And I own a double-wobble dado.

I think they're great. It only takes me about 20 min to dial in a width. Then, once I get the dado cut, all I have to do is cut a v-groove in the other board to match the w-shaped dado. It's really simple. I don't see what the big deal is about having "flat" bottoms.

NOT!!!

Jason, wishing he had a stacked set.

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
For a minute, I thought you were serious! You really do have an excellent sense of humor!! I'd hate to see you and Ken S. together.........Especially after a few of these:

James O'Mara
03-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Joe, You must have looked at something wrong at the Jesada site. I ordered the 8" Joint Master yesterday and it sells for $179.90 on their site. The 6" sells for $139.90. If you need other blades you can also by combo packs that include the dado and a couple other blades and get an additional savings.

Jimmy

Gary
03-05-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't know, even the idea of a 'wobble' blade just plain sounds wrong somehow. Would I buy a 1/4" wobble bit to drill a precise 1/2" hole or put a 3/8" wobble in my router to cut a 5/8" dado?

Hold it, there may be some money to be made here!! :D

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by James O'Mara
Joe, You must have looked at something wrong at the Jesada site. I ordered the 8" Joint Master yesterday and it sells for $179.90 on their site. The 6" sells for $139.90. If you need other blades you can also by combo packs that include the dado and a couple other blades and get an additional savings.

Jimmy

James, you're right, I was looking at the wrong thing...I saw the blade set you refered to...Thanks for the correction!:eek:

Kent Cori
03-06-2003, 4:45 PM
Actually, a wobble dado blade does have its uses. I bought one before my stacked set for the princely sum of $8.99 at one of those off-off-off brand tool sales. Believe it or not, it does a great job on pressure treated wood! .;) I used it when I built an arbor for the back yard. I really didn't want to put the wear on my stacked dado set for something that was essentially carpentry.

The other thing I've found it is very useful for is to hold papers down on my workbench. :D