PDA

View Full Version : Buck eye burl box.1 project 2 lessons

Alex Elias
01-07-2008, 2:21 AM
I just learned that is wise to use a waste block at both ends when rough turning specially soft wood like this. The top was intended to be like a dome instead of like a doughnut but the indentation on the top did not allowed me. So I figure that a piece of waste wood at both ends will conserve the more valuable wood.
The second lesson was the fit on the lid. Again the fit was pretty good and the sanding took care of that in a second now it is a loose fit. I like to see if I can get some more buck eye, I really like the figure of these wood.
The size of this is about 4" tall and 2"1/2 wide
Thanks for looking and all comments are wellcome.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Buck-Eye-Box-01.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Buck-Eye-Box-02.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2008, 8:56 AM
Alex - that is a beautiful little box! Great looking wood and finish! Also really like the photography - great color and focus! Nice work on both counts!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2008, 8:59 AM
Pretty little box Alex. That wood is gorgeous!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2008, 9:36 AM
Great looking box Alex. Love the wood. Yep it only takes one box to figure out don't touch the lid with sandpaper when the fit is proper.:eek::rolleyes:;) I did that my first box.

Ben Gastfriend
01-07-2008, 3:58 PM
Wow, the figure in that wood is amazing. I really like the form of the lid on the box, all around good job!

Tom Sherman
01-07-2008, 4:28 PM
A very nice box Alex. Fitting the lid can be tricky for sure.

Dale Gregory
01-07-2008, 6:27 PM
Nice box Alex! I like Buckeye also, turned a nice 10" bowl last year that had nice figuring like yours. Plus with the National Championship on the line tonight, you have to like the Buckeyes;) Dale

Mike A. Smith
01-07-2008, 7:34 PM
Purdy stuff!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2008, 7:42 PM
They said it all! DITTO!

Bruce

Alex Elias
01-08-2008, 6:06 AM
Well thank you guys for your comments. The box is now on the mantle collecting dust.

Jim Becker
01-08-2008, 9:31 AM
Very nice!

And yes, waste blocks can be your friends when working with both small and/or objects of valuable material. You can maximize your yield that way. In fact, for many small turnings, using a waste block can also allow you to completely turn a bowl or vessel without reversing using a final parting technique that slightly undercuts with a very thin tool. Marlen Kemmet of WOOD Magazine taught me that technique years ago as he loves to turn small southwestern style vessels using this method.

robert hainstock
01-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Alex,
I've often wondered at those realy tight box lids that are demenstrated. How is the fit a year or two from now after the wood has changed shape and gone ovel a little. It happens often, and I think yor sanding glitch may turn out to be a blessing. :)
Bob

Alex Elias
01-08-2008, 7:14 PM
Alex,
I've often wondered at those realy tight box lids that are demenstrated. How is the fit a year or two from now after the wood has changed shape and gone ovel a little. It happens often, and I think yor sanding glitch may turn out to be a blessing. :)
Bob
If the wood is not completely dry you like to rough turn it first. But you could be right about this one. I would be nice if an a few months I get a tighter fit.