PDA

View Full Version : Computer networking

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Before I spend days trying to get it to work. Is it possible to access my desktop computer from My wireless laptop? And is it possible to access a program on the desktop computer and use it on my laptop? For example. I would like to use Microsoft Money that is on my desktop ,from my Laptop. I have money on my laptop but want to only use one program so no matter what computer I am using I have one Money file that is current and correct.

My Desktop is hardwired into the wireless modem. I use my laptop wireless from that same modem. I run Vista.

Cary Falk
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
You can share hard drive folders across wireless networks. You could share a folder with the MS Money program and in theroy you could put a short cut on the laptop's desktop to access MS Money. I have never tried it so I don't know if it would work. I would just share the folder where the file is located and edit it from the MS Money program on the laptop.

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Access...absolutely. You'll need to enable file sharing and create shares.

That said, I do not recommend you try to use applications like Money across platforms...pick one machine to use it on and be done with it. You could, of course, put the data files on a share on the desktop while using the application on the laptop. But again, that kind of program is not "multi-user" nor designed to be run on more than one machine. Will it work? Probably. But it's risky from a file integrity standpoint. Run the app of the machine you want to use it on and put the date file where it's convenient for you.

Steve knight
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
it is easy to network computers. but do you only want to use the money file? if so all you need is foldershare. https://www.foldershare.com/ thsi will keeps the files sync'd so you can use it on either computer. this is easier then logging onto the laptop to use money. to do that you want https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp
if you network them what you would do is share the money file and access it with your money program on the laptop. all three work but I really like foldershare to keep files synced. I use it to keep my home and shop computer files updated. once in awhile it stops working till you reboot. but it does not happen often.

Steve knight
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
the best bet is to make sure that money is closed when not using it. then you can sync the file.

Josh Youngman
01-06-2008, 11:08 PM
simplest solution is to use logmein or another VNC program to control the computer that has themoney program.

James Stokes
01-07-2008, 10:27 AM
One way to do it is buy a jump drive, install money on that drive and keep your data on that. That way you can use it on any computer you want.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
To clarify: sharing files on other cptrs and running programs on other cptrs are 2 different things.

You won't be able to RUN the Money files on yr laptop unless you either

a) have Money installed on yr laptop, or
b) use some kind of 'remote desktop' software, which lets you 'hijack' a computer remotely and access it like yr sitting there on it's desktop. The downside is while it's being hijacked, it's locked and another user can't use it.

I second the suggestion of using Hamachi by www.logmein.com (http://www.logmein.com). It's free. You basically install the program on both the laptop and desktop and then create the equivalent of a private chat room from one of the machines. Then each computer logs into that 'room' using a pw that you specify. Once on, the computers act like they're connected. If yr running XP, you can then run Start->programs->accessories->communication->remote desktop and then connect to any of the pc's in the room. The cool thing is that this works through the internet, so you don't need a router. You can connect from yr work computer to yr home cptr this way too.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Shawn's idea has merit as it will allow you the flexible access your desire with the benefit of keeping within the software's intended installation methods as well as the licensing.

John Gregory
01-07-2008, 1:48 PM
I use Windows remote desktop to run Cutlist Plus from my wireless laptop. That way I have all of the files, prices and projects in the same place. Using remote desktop is just like being in front of the PC you can do everything just as if you were sitting in front of it. Only one person at a time can use the remote PC. Since I am the IT guy at work, I have my PC at work so that I can access it via remote desktop from home, (36 miles from work) makes support much easier. I have not done it yet, but I can set up my home PC so I can remote desktop from work to it. In my LAN/WAN router, I can direct port 3389 (remote desktop listening port) to my desktop PC.

Matt Meiser
01-07-2008, 2:28 PM
With about anything but Money I'd say go for it. However the Money data file seems fragile and I think you are asking for trouble. I've been using Money for about 12 years now and have had the .mny file get corrupted a couple times. We are very careful about backups for it so its not a disaster if it can't be recovered (usually the bank and MS have been able to walk us through getting it back working.) But I can think of a few problems trying to open it from two machines including version differences (remember Money regularly downloads updates so the two could get slightly out of sync.) Another problem if you go this route: to be legal, you probably need to buy a copy of Money for each computer you install it on, regardless of whether you share the file or not.

Using something like VNC to remotely access the main PC is how I access mine from another machine but only within my network, not over the Internet. DO NOT OPEN UP VNC PORTS TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD!!!! VNC is not secure! Very quickly once you open those ports someone is going to hack VNC and start running scripts on your machine. I made that mistake once. Luckily not on our main PC and no damage done. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure XP Home does not support Remote Desktop (RDP) the same way as XP Pro and 2003 Server. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me how to enable it as I'd rather use that than VNC anyway! Where I used to work we never had any issues with having port 3389 open to various servers that required remote support access.

My wife's employer uses Citrix's GoToMyPC which works well for her to remotely access her work PC and I would assume it is secure since we are talking about a hospital. My employer uses the sibling service GoToMeeting which works great for us.