PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and speech recognition

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey!

Did you know that windows vista comes with the speech recognition software? I did not type this message, I simply talked into the computer and it wrote the message out. How cool is that!

Does anyone have any tips on using this speech recognition software?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Dave, which Vista version? Home Premium or Ultimate? This brand-spanking new Dell system I'm typing on has Vista Home Premium and so far, I'm very pleased. The speech recognition thing would indeed be interesting! (Especially since I use it in some of the communication solutions I sell--and use--anyway)

Steve knight
01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I have tried upgrading both my laptops with vista using the free upgrades and nether of them have worked that well. I have a dell with vista at work and it has it's bugs that annoy me. every time I reboot it will not let firefox run without getting permission. I swear I need permission to do so many things it drives me nuts. when I have time I will put xp on it and it will work far better.

Dave Lehnert
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Dave, which Vista version? Home Premium or Ultimate? This brand-spanking new Dell system I'm typing on has Vista Home Premium and so far, I'm very pleased. The speech recognition thing would indeed be interesting! (Especially since I use it in some of the communication solutions I sell--and use--anyway)

Jim

I have Vista Home Premium.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
every time I reboot it will not let firefox run without getting permission. I swear I need permission to do so many things it drives me nuts. when I have time I will put xp on it and it will work far better.

Sounds like an issue with the Windows firewall. I'm not having any issue like that with Firefox or any other application. It will ask the first time something new is there, but after that...no questions.

Steve knight
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Sounds like an issue with the Windows firewall. I'm not having any issue like that with Firefox or any other application. It will ask the first time something new is there, but after that...no questions.
I had to change firefox to admin level to get logmein and a few other things to install after that I got the blocked issue. after i changed it back it still does it. uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still does it. every time I click on a link I get the window and have to give it permission to open the link.

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 3:59 PM
Interesting. I did nothing special on this brand new XPS 420 and haven't had any software cough yet. (I am using the ZoneAlarm security suite instead of the Windows firewall) The only issue is that the 32 bit version of Windows will not recognize the full 4 gb of memory I have since the 512mb in the video card also counts toward the 4gb total memory space for 32 bit operation. I had a chat with the tech support folks about that today...seems the online ordering system "forgot" to warn about that. No matter...

I hope you get the issue solved. It must be some setting somewhere that is whacked.