PDA

View Full Version : Major Gloat, Minor Gloat and a question

James Phillips
01-06-2008, 6:29 PM
Major Gloat:
I went yesterday and picked up a steel city 14 in bandsaw. What a great tool. I have always hated bandsaws and I guess it was because I had never owned a good one. I love this saw. I was able to resaw some very quilted maple to about 3/32" with little effort

Minor gloat:
Picked up a B&D vpx screwdriver with a gift card. This is a very powerful little driver that will fit in areas that my big drill will not.

Question:
I do not own a thickness sander and need to clean up the maple slices mentioned above. I tried sticking it to a sled with double stick tape and running it through the planer, which worked great until I tried to get it off the sled. I tried with out the tape and destroyed a slice of the maple and would rather not do that again. Any ideas on how to flatten and smooth the sawn face?

Thanks

Alan Lilly
01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
What kind of double stick tape did you use...
I use duck brand... I think it is supposed to be used to hold down carpet.
I got it at the borg in the carpet area.
It holds wood in place pretty well but feels only slightly stickier than a post-it note, so it peels off very easily.

James Phillips
01-07-2008, 5:46 AM
duck brand carpet tape is what I used, but it is not only slightly tacky. Maybe they make more than one type. I think today I will try and only tape the leading edge and see it it will stay put once it gets under the feed rollers

I think part of the problem with the tape not letting go it that after several runs through the planer the rollers have added enough pressure to really "set" the tape. I noticed the tape I bought is "indoor/outdoor". I wonder if they make other less agressive tapes

Thanks

Grant Davis
01-07-2008, 7:47 PM
Hey James, congrats on the new bandsaw. I too have been looking for one and have been leaning towards the SC. Where did you happen to pick yours up?