PDA

View Full Version : jointer / planer small combo

Matthew Springer
02-26-2004, 6:46 PM
Don't tell the guys on the other side, but I'm thinking of buying a power tool.

My "shop" is uber tiny half of a one car garage which is already essentially crampled, so I was wondering what a good solution would be to getting a planer or jointer. I've got a #7 that does a pretty good job gettign things flat, but the thicknessing is just not fun.

So does anybody make a good, compact joitner/planer combo? I was lookign at the Hitachi or maybe just buyign the makita planer.

Any ideas. Maybe I need a used Inca? Expensive is OK (I'm a bachelor) but big is not.

-Matthew

Jamie Buxton
02-26-2004, 8:24 PM
Matt --
As you know, the Inca is no longer available. However, check this link -- http://www.right-tool.com/rikrp10plan.html. It sure looks like the Inca, doesn't it?

Jamie

Rob Russell
02-27-2004, 8:09 AM
... I was wondering what a good solution would be to getting a planer or jointer.

So does anybody make a good, compact jointer/planer combo?

Expensive is OK (I'm a bachelor) but big is not.

-Matthew

Consider the Felder AD731. It's a 12" jointer/planer combo. There are a couple of nice things about the Felder as compared to its competitors. The base unit is only 64" long. The ends of the infeed/outfeed tables are lipped to accept add-on tables you can buy to extend the length of the jointer out to 102" - but only when you need it. The jointer fence is designed so you can put the unit right up against a wall. There is no bar sticking out the back to worry about.

The Felders aren't cheap, but they are top quality. The unit I have is the big brother of the 12" guy and it's a hefty machine.

Rob

Mark Bachler
02-27-2004, 9:25 AM
I just picked up the Mini Max s 35 smart. 14" jointer / planer. Let you know how I like it as soon as I get the 220 run in my shop next week. Like the Felder it's a tank and very easy to switch back & forth.

Joel Hunnicutt
02-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I have an Inca I bought used about 5 years ago. Wouldnot trade it for the world! My shop is about 10 x 20 and it fits really well. Yes the joiner bed are a bit short, but joining a 6 ft. board is a real rarety for me. If you find one, go for it.

Rob Russell
02-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I just picked up the Mini Max s 35 smart. 14" jointer / planer. Let you know how I like it as soon as I get the 220 run in my shop next week. Like the Felder it's a tank and very easy to switch back & forth.

The MM equipment is also good. The biggest differences between the MM and Felder are how close it can be to a wall and the potential for extending the infeed/outfeed tables.

Hammer is Felder's "entry-level tank" line. You lose some features, for example the capability for table extensions. Costs less, though.