PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix cutterhead adjustment

Don Morris
01-06-2008, 5:55 PM
I noticed an arch in an edge of some 8/4 maple I put through my 8" jointer so I checked my outfeed table and sure enough it was a little higher than all the cutters of the Byrd shelix cutterhead. Not sure why, haven't used it in a while (been recovering from shoulder surgery). I twirled the outfeed table handwheel and lowered it so it barely touched the top of the cutterheads at their topmost position. However, while doing that it became apparent the cutters nearest my fence were a little worn because as I put my metal machinist straight edge out to the 8" side I could feel the lesser used cutters touch the straight edge more fully as I rotated the cutterhead back and forth. When do you guys with Byrd shelix cutterheads decide to rotate the cutters. Do you have a criteria of when to make a rotation? As always, ideas, critique of techniqes are always welcome and appreciated. Thanks for any input.

Don M

Gary Keedwell
01-06-2008, 6:48 PM
I don't really know what to tell you but those inserts are carbide and your only cutting wood. As a machinist in another life, I have seen carbide inserts lasting a long time cutting METAL all day long. There might be some discoloration but it would not hurt to move your fence around once in a while especially if you do alot of edging.
Gary

Alan Schaffter
01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Align your tables to the Shelix. It is easy to do if you have a parallelogram type jointer like the DJ-20.

Eddie Darby
01-07-2008, 5:45 AM
Given enough time, the tables on a jointer will sag. Some people use the tables for storage, which is a big no-no.
I support my tables if I am not going to be woodworking for a while, with some lumber placed under the extreme ends of the tables.

If you use your fence in one position most of the time, so that you end up cutting on the same place on the shelix head, then try just not rotating your cutters, but exchanging them with other cutters that are not getting much use.

Some wood contains particles of silica that can be quite hard, and so certain woods will wear your carbide cutters faster than others. Similarly in metal working certain metals will have a greater toll on cutter life than other metals.