PDA

View Full Version : Right and Left tilt Table Saws

Art Travers
01-06-2008, 1:54 PM
Can anybody tell me why the table saw manufacturers build right tilt
table saws? Everything I read tells me that the left tilt are safer.
I understand that as far as straight line cutting there is no difference..

Another question? difference between a riving knife and a splitter..
Thanks ..

glenn bradley
01-06-2008, 2:00 PM
I would do a search here for previous conversations. You'll get every response from what I feel "personal preference" to what I jokingly say (due to my preference) Right Tilt BAD, Left Tilt GOOD ;-)

Some folks argue that the right tilt doesn't require adjustment of your fence cursor as the blades are changed or dado stacks are used. This of course is silly as blade blanks and tooth widths vary. I am of the camp that does not want wood trapped under the blade and between the fence on bevel cuts so I went left tilt.

Greg Sznajdruk
01-06-2008, 3:01 PM
I would do a search here for previous conversations. You'll get every response from what I feel "personal preference" to what I jokingly say (due to my preference) Right Tilt BAD, Left Tilt GOOD ;-)

Some folks argue that the right tilt doesn't require adjustment of your fence cursor as the blades are changed or dado stacks are used. This of course is silly as blade blanks and tooth widths vary. I am of the camp that does not want wood trapped under the blade and between the fence on bevel cuts so I went left tilt.

Fortunately the flange on the arbour does not move, so regardless of what blade you mount on a right tilt the relationship does not change. So your fence and tape measure are always accurate. Since a right tilt is also capable of moving the fence to the left of the blade cutting bevels is really not a problem. I can’t remember the last time I had to bevel on the table saw, probably the last time I need a French Cleat.

Really boils down to what you are prepaired to put up with (personal preference).

Greg

Nissim Avrahami
01-06-2008, 3:57 PM
The difference between Splitter (spreader) and riving knife is that riving knife:
Moves up, down and tilts with the blade...and,
Has the shape of the blade and is located 1/8" (3mm) just behind the blade (but no more than 5/16" (8mm)

My blade is tilting to the right (together with the riving knife) and I don't have any problem cutting bevels....I forgot to mention that my fence has two positions High and Low and I'm using the Low side for cutting bevels.

I hope that the pics below, will show it better...

Regards
niki