PDA

View Full Version : the next thorn

Tony Wheeler
01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
This one is closer to what I wanted to do this time I band sawed the limb in half and then removed more on the bottom for the tenion then went to the top and cut I still need to remove more from the bottom to get the flatness that I'm after.

Bill Bolen
01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I really like this piece mounted with the thorns. Aren't these called "angle wings"? Great work....Bill....

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 3:37 PM
I think they would be "angel wings". I'm glad you got these figured out. Even if it's not what you're looking for, it looks pretty darn good to me! Great job!

Richard Madison
01-06-2008, 8:55 PM
Tony,
Sounds like what you need is the first slab cut off a big log, which would be more nearly "flat" than a similar piece from a small log. Is there a sawmill anywhere close to you?

Paul Engle
01-06-2008, 9:44 PM
Nice work Tony, I was thinking the same thing as Richard, those thin slab cuts usually end up as hog fuel tho. You'd have to get a fresh one which means being at the mill at the time of the cut, in mills up here you got about 10 minutes before the hogger turns it in to chips...I like your idea and the " wings" are perfect. Well done indeed...

Jess Wetherhold
01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Tony, I have some wet ash that I was thinking about turning some thin platters from. Would you mind telling me at what speed you turned your pieces?
I am curious as to where some turners find their comfort zone.
bty- I very much enjoy viewing your work. Much appreciated.
Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2008, 9:43 AM
Beautiful Tony. Thorns really set it off.

Tony Wheeler
01-07-2008, 8:30 PM
thanks guy all the nice comments guys as far as how fast i am turning these i really did not pay attenion to the speed other than not so fast that its shaking and as get gets more balanced the speed increases and a lot of hand sanding cause Im chicken

Nathan Hawkes
01-08-2008, 2:27 PM
very nice, no matter what you say. I'm jealous.