PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a power sander

Tom Keen
01-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Im in the market for a sander. I think I would like a close quarters drill/sander. Something with a better angle on it than my cordless drill. What are some recommendations?

Thanks,
Tom

Tony De Masi
01-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Tom

I picked up a "Grip" 55 degree sander from Overstock dot com almost two years ago and it's still running strong. I believe I paid around $40 for it. You can certainly go high end with the Sioux but I decided to go this route and I'm very happy with it.

Tony

Brodie Brickey
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Tom,

I got an angle drill pretty cheap, its worked well. I picked up some extensions that allow me to go deep into a bowl for sanding. Packard and others carry them.

I also bought a Grepx (sp?) angled sander (air tool). The Grepx is not recommended. To high of an air requirement, its noisy and you've got dust everywhere.

Greg Just
01-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I received the Grex AOS386 sander for my birthday and it is great!

http://www.grextools.com/grexusa/products.php5?id=AOS368

Bill Bolen
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I picked up a used Milwaukee angle drill from eBay for $20. Works great and is a real time saver. I read a reveiw on-line of the Sears Craftsman corded rt angle that sells for $99. the user had been sanding with it for 2 years and was happy. Looks exactly (except for the color) of the Harbor Freight $20 rt angle drill. Probably the same manufacturer.....Bill

Reed Gray
01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I prefer the Sioux/Milwaukee angle drills. I think they work better than the right angle drills (easier to get all the way down into bigger deeper bowls). I generally get 6 months out of them before the bearings need to be replaced. I do use them pretty heavily. I did get one of the cloned $40 dollar ones, and it lasted about a month. I have tried some fancy double sealed bearings for replacing the factory standard ones, and they seem to last just about as long. My tool repair guy said it is the dust which eventually gets into the bearings no matter what you do. I have thought about putting some sort of dust filter over the intake port on the drill to see if this works better, but haven't gotten around to that yet. The best price I have seen on these drills was from Coastal Tool at around $110. Don't have a contact address for them though.

robo hippy

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 1:36 PM
I have the Souix angle drill for my power sanding. If it ever dies, I'll probably try the Grex pneumatic as an alternative.