PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing ?: Are faucet threads NPT?

Brian Elfert
01-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Are the threads on a faucet regular NPT, or are they something special? It seems to me that most of the time special connectors are used for faucets.

I would like to use a Sharkbite fitting that is 1/2" NPT on one end to hook up to a faucet, but not sure it will work. This is for an RV that has PEX piping. I am not planning on having valves under the sink. The valves will be at the manifold in the cargo bays of the RV.

Mark Rios
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
You refer to your application as being for an RV so I'll assume that you mean outside faucets or "hose bibs". And the answer is yes. However, you can buy adaptors the go from hose thread to NPT as well as the reverse configuration.

You should be able to find them at your local BORG. The last time I had to use them I found them in the section that has all the copper tubing fittings and stuff at my local HD (not copper pipe stuff, tubing stuff).

Brian Elfert
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
This is for an RV, but the faucets are regular house bathroom and kitchen faucets. The faucets have a 1/2" threaded connector to attach to the rest of the plumbing just like in a house.

I've converted a bus to an RV, but I used crimp fittings with stainless crimp rings for the PEX originally, but I had a lot of leaks. I am redoing the plumbing with Sharkbite push connect fittings, but the crimp type fittings had a special fitting to connect to a standard kitchen/bath faucet. Sharkbite does not have a special fitting so I am trying to figure out if a faucet is regular NPT thread or not.

Mark Rios
01-06-2008, 1:45 PM
Aaahhh, sorry then. Bath and kitchen faucet threads are not NPT.

It seems to me that I've seen an adaptor that goes from a kitchen or bath faucet thread to something else but I don't remember where and for what application. Oh wait, I remember now. I have seen them in the faucet repair area at HD, back where you would find sink faucet washers, valves, etc. I was looking for an adaptor for a tenant to connect their kitchen faucet to a water filter that they had bought at the flea market. There were a number to choose from and I needed more info about the filter so I didn't buy one. Then they decided not to use it at all so I didn't take the issue any further. But, you may be able to to the adaptor to adaptor kind of thing.

hth

Brian Elfert
01-06-2008, 5:34 PM
I suspected they were different.

It looks like Fluidmaster makes a connector that has female NPT on the one end so I could attach my Sharkbite connector on the end of that.

Thanks for the help.