PDA

View Full Version : Interesting subtle round profile

Derek Larson
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I saw a cabinet door that I thought was very interesting, and I was very curious how the profile on the rails and stile was done.
If you looked at the cross section of the rails and stiles you would see a subtle rounded profile that is approximately 2" wide.
I have looked for router bits that would create that rounded profile but to no avail am I missing something, is this some type of custom bit?
Again the key to this is that it is subtle and wide, any guesses?

Here is a link to a cabinet door that is close to what I saw just ignore the fancy cuts on the sides of the rail and stiles I am only curious about the round center of the stiles and rails

http://thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/FinishDetail.aspx?DSFID=450

Paul Girouard
01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
More than likely a shaper bit , custom ground. That would be my guess as to how they make it. I'd bet most , if not all of that detail is cut in one pass using a power fed shaper.

Joe Chritz
01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Looks like the door is mitered so my guess is with some kind of molder. Probably a CNC controlled 6 head costing around $200 K.

That would be a tough one to duplicate but using a bunch of different bit set ups I bet it could be done.

Joe

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
On a production line, the stock was probably shaped by a big molder which would be making miles of the stuff. Some small shops have a molder-shaper like the Williams & Hussey or the Shop-Fox. Another approach for a small shop might be a reversable crown molding cutter. Here's one example: http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/crown-molding-extender-54410.html . This one won't exactly cut your example profile, but perhaps you can find another bit like this.

Christopher Haag
01-06-2008, 1:21 PM
Google this exact text:
======================================
"My first finished project" sort of dartboard cabinet
======================================

You'll get one hit. Looks like the same profile.

Jim O'Dell
01-06-2008, 3:47 PM
I was going to say picture frame moulding. Chris, nice dart board! And welcome to the Creek!!! Jim.

Christopher Haag
01-06-2008, 4:49 PM
I can't take credit for the dart board. It's just a molding that I admired so when I saw this post, I had to compare the two. Low and behold...

Derek Larson
01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Chris, that looks identical to what I am looking for thank you so much, I also like the crown molding bit, now I have a lot to go on
Thank you all very much