PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbing Pads on Cast Iron

Paul Fitzgerald
01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I just had an idea and wanted to run it by ya'll...

I've read tons of info on cleaning and waxing cast iron and currently use T9 Boeshield and Renaissance Wax. I've been pretty happy with the results.

I just picked up a used jointer and noticed a few streaks of rust while cleaning it. They're no big deal and you can only really notice them when the light is at the right angle, but I didn't want to apply the Boeshield and wax unless the surface is as clean as possible.

So here's my idea...

Instead of scrubbing the table by hand with a synthetic scotch brite pad, I've got a Ryobi Corner Cat with two synthetic scrubbing pads and was thinking of using it. I can't imagine it would cause a problem, but I thought I'd check.

Also, it's got a "polishing pad". Would that hurt anything? Should I or could I use some sort of polishing compound to polish the surface?

Thanks,

Paul

Rob Will
01-06-2008, 1:15 AM
I do it all the time with a DA and a scuff pad. It works fine.

Rob

Keith Outten
01-06-2008, 7:52 AM
Scotch 3M pads on your random orbital sander work perfectly for cleaning and polishing cast iron and for rubbing out project finishes.

Tim Morton
01-06-2008, 8:00 AM
If they are just "barely" noticeable, I would use wet/dry sandpaper and wd-40

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I just use my ROS, so I see no reason why that tool will not work just fine...

Paul Fitzgerald
01-06-2008, 4:54 PM
I had to be careful not to leave noticeable scuffs, but it worked wonderfully otherwise. It sure was a timesaver over regular ol' elbow grease. :D

Thanks,

Paul