PDA

View Full Version : Tool till progress

Don C Peterson
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
This week with the holiday and weekend I was able to get quite a bit done with my tool till project. As you can see, I have some space to fill on the plane side...

78722 78723

78724 78725

jonathan snyder
01-06-2008, 1:25 AM
I like it Don! That is a great idea. Roll it right over to the bench. Have you thought about putting the top half on a lazy susan so it would revolve? Just a thought. The only thing I can't figure out is what is holding those blue chips on there?

JOnathan

Thomas Knighton
01-06-2008, 7:09 AM
Looks good Don. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Tom

David Tiell
01-06-2008, 8:47 AM
The only thing I can't figure out is what is holding those blue chips on there?

JOnathan
The same thought occurred to me. Only thing I can figure is magnets. IF so, what type are you using and where are they hidden?

Oh, and very neat concept and execution of it!

Ken Werner
01-06-2008, 8:52 AM
Hi Don, clever, compact, and nicely executed. Looking forward to more pictures.

Ken

Don C Peterson
01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
I like it Don! That is a great idea. Roll it right over to the bench. Have you thought about putting the top half on a lazy susan so it would revolve? Just a thought. The only thing I can't figure out is what is holding those blue chips on there?

JOnathan

The till itself is kind of a lazy suzan since it's on castors.

The blue chips are held by a shop-made magnet strip. I just bought a number of 3/4" rare earth magnets. Then I took a strip of Ash and sawed off a 1/8 "veneer", then I drilled 3/4" holes, put the magnets in the holes and then glued the veneer on top. This was what I've been using for the last year to hold my chisels on a wall, but I just don't trust it for my good chisels on a till that moves and gets jostled...

Danny Thompson
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Great idea, nicely executed. Any concerns about dust?

Roy Wall
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
That is very efficient!! All your tools in basically in a 30" square......cool idea!!

Nice work DON!!

jonathan snyder
01-06-2008, 1:33 PM
The till itself is kind of a lazy suzan since it's on castors.

The blue chips are held by a shop-made magnet strip. I just bought a number of 3/4" rare earth magnets. Then I took a strip of Ash and sawed off a 1/8 "veneer", then I drilled 3/4" holes, put the magnets in the holes and then glued the veneer on top. This was what I've been using for the last year to hold my chisels on a wall, but I just don't trust it for my good chisels on a till that moves and gets jostled...

I was wondering if you used magnets. Do you have any concerns of the chisels becoming magnetized? This would lead to them holding the swarf and possibly transferring a bit of grit leading to stone contamination. This has been discussed on other forums, and it seems that the general consensus, is that it could be problematic. Just a thought.

At any rate, I really like the idea. You were definitly thinking outside the box. You should consider writing it up for a FWW article. I have never seen a rolling tool till before. Even though its on casters, I still think the lazy susan would be cool. It would spin effortlessly with the flick of a finger. When I steal your idea, I'm going to try it.;)

Jonathan

Don C Peterson
01-06-2008, 7:03 PM
I was wondering if you used magnets. Do you have any concerns of the chisels becoming magnetized? This would lead to them holding the swarf and possibly transferring a bit of grit leading to stone contamination. This has been discussed on other forums, and it seems that the general consensus, is that it could be problematic. Just a thought.

At any rate, I really like the idea. You were definitly thinking outside the box. You should consider writing it up for a FWW article. I have never seen a rolling tool till before. Even though its on casters, I still think the lazy susan would be cool. It would spin effortlessly with the flick of a finger. When I steal your idea, I'm going to try it.;)

Jonathan

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of magnetizing the chisels, and if I'd thought about it, I probably wouldn't have done it that way. I certainly haven't noticed any magnetism over the past year. Now that you put the idea in my head, I went down and checked the chisels on some filings from my latest saw sharpening, and none of them picked up any visible filings.

I don't think this version is anywhere near FWW standards, it's cobbled together from scraps of three different kinds of plywood, particle board, bits of scrap Oak and Ash, and to top it all off, old 2x4's. I didn't want to spend any money on the thing since I didn't really know how it would turn out or if I would like it at all. I was working completely without plans and actually had nothing but a very vague idea in mind, even as I started cutting... It has been a total seat-of-the-pants operation from start to finish. I figured that if it turned out well, I would use it for a few years and then build one out of nicer materials.

Steve Clardy
01-06-2008, 7:11 PM
Very nice Don!!

Don C Peterson
01-06-2008, 7:14 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot...

The Lazy Suzan idea is pretty interesting. It would have to be a very sturdy one, but if you could find one, it might be pretty cool.

Phillip Pattee
01-06-2008, 8:20 PM
Don, Looks nice. I can't wait to see what you do with the other two sides.

Don C Peterson
01-06-2008, 8:37 PM
The side opposite from the planes is for hand saws. I guess the pictures don't show it clearly.
I'll probably use the other side to provide a home for a couple of braces and bits.

Phillip Pattee
01-06-2008, 8:53 PM
Oh, okay, I recognize it now. This was the side already seen in the previous thread. Nice looking project.

jonathan snyder
01-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't think this version is anywhere near FWW standards, it's cobbled together from scraps of three different kinds of plywood, particle board, bits of scrap Oak and Ash, and to top it all off, old 2x4's. I didn't want to spend any money on the thing since I didn't really know how it would turn out or if I would like it at all. I was working completely without plans and actually had nothing but a very vague idea in mind, even as I started cutting... It has been a total seat-of-the-pants operation from start to finish. I figured that if it turned out well, I would use it for a few years and then build one out of nicer materials.

Don't underestimate yourself or your design Don. Get the kinks worked out, and rebuild it using nicer materials, get some good photos, and do a nice write up with plans. How many wall hanging tool cabinets has FWW featured over the years? I'm pretty sure they have never featured a rolling tool till like yours.

Jonathan

Edit: Glad to hear that magnetism is not an issue.

Zahid Naqvi
01-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Don, I like it. It is very practical for small spaces.

gary Zimmel
01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Don

Nice looking project. Great idea to hold a ton of tools....

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Very nice work....