PDA

View Full Version : Aspen Vase

Tim A. Mitchell
01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
This is an Aspen wide mouthed vase turned end grain (if I got that right . . . it was oriented as a spindle . . so please correct me if I am wrong). It is about 6in high by almost 5 inches wide. It hollows out some on the inside, but it is not consistent in thickness. It is the first thing I have tried to hollow that deep. Critiques welcome.

Kevin McPeek
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Thats very nice. I really like the colors in Aspen. You are correct in calling it end grain hollowing.
If I was to critique, the thing that grabs my eye is the foot. I'm not sure if it's the diameter or the height that gets me though. Overall a great job!

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Nice vase Tim! Wood has more going on in it than most aspen I've seen - this is really nice stuff! Nothing wrong with the form - you stated it is a wide mouth vase and it is! Only suggestions I would make is to shorten or lose the foot. I think that would help with the over-all flow of the form. Nice work - keep posting!

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
That is a good looking vase. Great looking wood.

Paul Engle
01-06-2008, 7:52 AM
Nice form, yep loose the foot / make a base that would elevate it a couple inches. If you look at some classic greek pottery/stone works you will see how pronounced the difference is by adding some elevation to this shape.A lot of their urns / vases have significant effect by the shapes of the pedestal's etc.

Sue Wise
01-06-2008, 8:45 AM
I do a lot of Aspen turning as that is the only wood besides pine that I can get free. Soft wood and very difficult to turn because it is easy to tear the grain, but good to learn on because you need sharp tools and a light touch.

-Sue

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 9:31 AM
I like it all around! Great form!

My 200th Post!:)

Tim A. Mitchell
01-06-2008, 7:41 PM
Thanks all. The foot is a bit big. It is about 2 inches in diameter and 3/16 high. I still have not made a doughnut cheuck yet, and it is a bit long to jam chuck (for me . . I would launch it).

I do have tha materials set aside for the chuck, so I will be making one shortly. Probably befor the next project I turn. I think I will turn this foot off when I have that ready. May add a base as Paul suggests. What would be the best way to do that?

Dale Gregory
01-06-2008, 8:10 PM
Very nice grain for Aspen and good form. Dale

Mike A. Smith
01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Tim the curves on your pieces have been really nice. This is another goody!