PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple Picture Frame w/pics

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2004, 3:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't done a whole lot of posting lately as most of my time has been taken up at church. Sorry about that. I certainly have enjoyed looking over the many projects you guys have posted.

I'm right in the middle of building a modular entertainment center but stepped back from that to build this picture frame for my wife. I've never built one of these before and was amazed at how easy this one was. I saw some plans in Wood magazine and decided to pop this one out.

The woodworking on this fame isn't the best (note the gaps on the back). Oh well. I'm not too bothered by that. The gaps actually help get the 1/8" hardboard out. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it :D I got really acquainted with my relatively new Performax sanding this figured maple. I don’t know how I did this before the ole’Performax came to town.

I slopped some BLO on the frame for a finish and called it good - at least for now. I'll probably spray some lacquer when I finish the entertainment center. Anyway, maybe some of you can whip one of these out as well. It only took me three hours - and that was with the slow sanding process of the Performax.

Jason

Donnie Raines
02-26-2004, 3:12 PM
Very nice. Nice simple design, and the curly looks great!

DonnieR

Tyler Howell
02-26-2004, 3:18 PM
As Always Jason;)

Keith Starosta
02-26-2004, 3:35 PM
Jason,
Very cool! What issue of Wood was that frame listed in?

Keith

Rob Littleton
02-26-2004, 3:46 PM
Jason,

Keith

Dude, I am sick of those frames.........

I had to make 20 for christmas presents. Shipped them to the UK and they love.

Seriously, I really like them and they are fun to make. I actually have a BUNCH of Xeroxed copies of the plan hanging in my shop coz I know Im gonna have build some more. The bigger ones are fun too....

Nice job....

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2004, 4:35 PM
Jason,

Keith

Keith, thanks. The plan is in the December 2003 issue, page 112.

Todd Burch
02-26-2004, 4:36 PM
Very nice Jason! Nice use of wood. I like the square pegs too.

Stan Smith
02-26-2004, 4:41 PM
I like 'em! I saw the plan in Wood mag and just brushed over it. I'll probably make some big ones so that I can put in one of those mats for mulitple pics.

Stan

Jim Becker
02-26-2004, 5:19 PM
Gorgeous, Jason. That tiger maple is outstanding and really works nicely for this frame...and who cares what it looks like on the back? The front is what counts and only a woodworker (especially the one who did the work) would be critical or even notice those tiny gaps!

Chris DiCiaccio
02-26-2004, 5:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't done a whole lot of posting lately as most of my time has been taken up at church. Sorry about that. I certainly have enjoyed looking over the many projects you guys have posted.

I'm right in the middle of building a modular entertainment center but stepped back from that to build this picture frame for my wife. I've never built one of these before and was amazed at how easy this one was. I saw some plans in Wood magazine and decided to pop this one out.

The woodworking on this fame isn't the best (note the gaps on the back). Oh well. I'm not too bothered by that. The gaps actually help get the 1/8" hardboard out. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it :D I got really acquainted with my relatively new Performax sanding this figured maple. I don’t know how I did this before the ole’Performax came to town.

I slopped some BLO on the frame for a finish and called it good - at least for now. I'll probably spray some lacquer when I finish the entertainment center. Anyway, maybe some of you can whip one of these out as well. It only took me three hours - and that was with the slow sanding process of the Performax.

Jason

Great frame, wonderful workmanship--she should be proud.

Jim Stastny
02-26-2004, 6:22 PM
Great frame Jason! Even better is that little guy with the Holland, Mi lighthouse in the background

Byron Trantham
02-26-2004, 8:08 PM
The back doesn't count! But the front does, and it looks great. Very nice job. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2004, 8:35 PM
Jason........simple lines.....beautiful wood ......great workmanship!

Jeff Skory
02-26-2004, 8:58 PM
Jason,

Like Stan I also read through the article but the choice of wood in the magazine article left me with a Blah type feeling. I really like your frame. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to think about making the frame out of something else.

Very nice. I'll have to give it a go.

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2004, 9:18 PM
Great frame Jason! Even better is that little guy with the Holland, Mi lighthouse in the background

Jim, you don't miss a thing, do you? Yep, another Holland picture. Ah, to be at the beach again :( Is winter over yet?

Aaron Heck
02-26-2004, 9:21 PM
Very, very cool. I'll have to check back and see if I have that issue. I hope so!

Aaron

Jason Tuinstra
02-26-2004, 9:23 PM
Jason,

Like Stan I also read through the article but the choice of wood in the magazine article left me with a Blah type feeling. I really like your frame. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to think about making the frame out of something else.

Very nice. I'll have to give it a go.

Jeff - go for it. You'll enjoy it. If you're like me, the only problem will be finding replacement glass for the store bought frame in the living room. :D

Lars Thomas
02-26-2004, 9:42 PM
Love the design of those frames, they look great. Lars

Jeff Skory
03-16-2004, 8:24 PM
Hi Jason,

Finally got around to making one of these frames. Used walnut for the frame and maple for the pegs. Looking pretty good. I'll post a picture as soon as it is done.

If I decide to make some of these for christmas gifts I'll do a few things different than what the directions said to do.

A) Do most of the sanding BEFORE gluing the frame together.
B) Round off the ends of the pegs before gluing and cutting.
C) I will definitely buy a square chisel. Doing it by hand is not real precise.

Later,

Jeff Skory
03-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Jason,

Just about finished with the frame. :D Always one or two small details waiting. Basically I just need to get some 1/4" dowel and some of those swivel things to hold the hardboard in place.

Here's a pic. It's made out of walnut and finished with Velvit Oil. I think it came out quite nice. And it was a fun little project. Gave me a chance to try out the rabbeting bit I bought for the router. That tool is still very new to me.

Chris Padilla
03-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Looks good, Jeff. That appears to be your son in the pic? He's a knock-off of the old man I see.... :D

Jeff Skory
03-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Looks good, Jeff. That appears to be your son in the pic? He's a knock-off of the old man I see.... :D

You got it.

Jason Tuinstra
03-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Jeff,

Great looking frame. I like the look of the walnut with the pegs. How did you find the project - pretty easy right? Way to go! Thanks for showing it off.

Jason

Oh... very handsome son. A nice picture to go along with a nice frame.

Jeff Skory
03-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi Jason,

Yeah it was pretty easy. I can definitely see the possibility of fine-tuning the building process and cranking out a number of these for Christmas gifts.

Take care,

Jeff