PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Woodturner's Smock?

Bill Fleming
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
What is your favorite smock for turning and why?

Richard Madison
01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
What? Tee shirt and jeans.

Why? It's what I have.

As posted previously, if the pockets of your clean clothes fresh from the dryer contain clean and dry shavings, you might be a woodturner.

Pete Jordan
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
The AAW smock

Mike Peace
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Old nylon windbreaker with company logo of previous employer. Like it because the nylon sheds chips easily, pockets have zippers to keep out the shavings and it zips to the neck.

I cut off the sleeves. Wish I had not as I get all those wet shavings on my shirt sleeves.

Bill Stevener
01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Just an old swet shirt this time of the year. The shop is a bit chilly.

Tim A. Mitchell
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Got a black nylon apron from Woodcraft for Christmas. It definately keeps me cleaner than nothing.

Dean Thomas
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
My honey made me a super smock. I'm a big man and the AAW sizes stop way before they got me covered.

She used a light nylon fabric that sheds chips really well. Sleeves are just longer than my elbows and so cover my sleeves and keep the padauk & wenge dust away from them. It goes to my knees in front, keeping my shorts from the same dusty fate. Neckline closes in the back with a little tie. May change to Vel-Cro, but may not.

I sweat easily and this does NOT make me sweat. It is more to protect my clothing than as a bowl-proof vest. :p

Kevin McPeek
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
So far I like the light one from Craft Supplies. I'd like to get something lighter weight so I could wear it deeper into the summer. I'm thinking I might invest in the AAW one this spring though.

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Light weight camo hunting jacket - anytime it gets real 'dusty' I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a couple of times - then it's good as new!

Jim Hill
01-06-2008, 3:07 AM
I use the Lee Valley turners smock. Haven't tried anything else. It definately keeps me cleaner.

Jim

robert hainstock
01-06-2008, 8:19 AM
WIFE MADE UP TWO SHOP APRONS WIRH VELCRO CLOSURE, AND BREAST HIGH POCKETS. WORKS GREAT WHEN I REMEMBER TO PUT IT ON OVER THE OLD SWEAT SHIRT I NORMALY WEAR. :o:o
Bob

Sue Wise
01-06-2008, 8:43 AM
A friend of mine made a turning apron for me with a high neck with velcro and one small pencil pocket. It is perfect for hot weather turning. Actually for any weather turning.

-Sue

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 9:30 AM
I'm supposed to be wearing a smock?! I stick an old white t-shirt on and a pair of jeans. My mother has assured that this old white t-shirt is long enough to cover my jeans pockets to reduce the number of shavings that end up in the washing machine!

Nancy Laird
01-06-2008, 9:33 AM
I wear a red/burgundy Robert Sorby smock that LOML bought for me when I first started turning. It has a knit collar and zips up the front and keeps the curlies and dust out of my clothing. Otherwise, I'd have sawdust in my bra!! It's what I'm wearing in my avatar picture.

Nancy

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 9:48 AM
Packard Woodwork's smocks are my favorites. They have a nice soft knit collar that fits snug and comfortable and also are made from a material that stuff doesn't stick to as much. Further, they have a "summer" version that is sleeveless for more comfort when it's quite warm.

Rich Stewart
01-06-2008, 9:55 AM
I can't see it Nancy. That purple thing is in the way.

Nancy Laird
01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't see it Nancy. That purple thing is in the way.

Color is bad on that avatar - but burgundy and purple aren't too far apart.:p;)

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2008, 2:26 PM
I used to turn "commando" style, but the neighbors called the cops; so I now go the white tie and tails routine. Armani has a great line of top hats with pintle hooks which makes attaching the faceshield a cinch. It's all about style :D

Bubba Davis
01-06-2008, 2:51 PM
LOML made me one from a medical smock with Velcro closer in front and tall neck with Velcro and flaps over the pockets

Nancy Laird
01-06-2008, 3:00 PM
I used to turn "commando" style, but the neighbors called the cops;

That's a mental picture I'd rather not have gotten today!!:eek::eek:

Nancy

Paul Heely
01-06-2008, 3:13 PM
I used to turn "commando" style,

Now that could really give new meaning to "I had a bad catch today....."

I have one of the AAW smocks and have been happy with it. I also have one of the long sleeve ones that Packard sells and hate it. The only time I use it is if I have some sopping wet wood and that was after cutting the arms off of it.

John-Paul Murphy
01-06-2008, 3:18 PM
I have a denim apron. The kind with shoulder straps that cross to tie in the back. It keeps the shavings out of the pockets of my jeans. Don’t remember where it came from but it has pockets for pencils up top and flaps over the lower pockets to keep the shavings out. Handy because the pencil calipers ect are always near (unless I forget and lay them down some where else).:)

Curt Fuller
01-06-2008, 3:22 PM
anytime it gets real 'dusty' I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a couple of times - then it's good as new!
Hey Steve I thought I was the only one that did that. I've often wondered what the neighbor behind me thinks I'm doing out there at midnight shaking my coat and beating it on the tree.:D.

I have a nylon apron but by the time I think to put it on I'm usually already covered with shavings.

Richard Madison
01-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Thanks Ben. Did not think of pulling tail of tee shirt out to cover jeans pockets.

Actually do have a smock of unknown origin with multiple snaps up the front, modified with "velcro" sewn on. But only wear it when doing rip cuts on the table saw, or roughing a log.

Jason Christenson
01-07-2008, 2:24 PM
Jeans and a T-Shirt here. I get too hot otherwise.

kevin loftus
01-07-2008, 2:36 PM
I used to turn "commando" style, but the neighbors called the cops; so I now go the white tie and tails routine. Armani has a great line of top hats with pintle hooks which makes attaching the faceshield a cinch. It's all about style :D

I prefer the "S.A.S." style of turning Andy.
Safe And Secure. :D

Glenn Hodges
01-07-2008, 2:56 PM
I agree with Jim the Packard smock is the best I have used. I like the elastic fit around the neck because it keeps shavings from getting down my shirt.

Walt Nollan
01-07-2008, 3:32 PM
I prefer my individual disgusting attire. Or what I happen to be wearing, which are jeans and a T shirt.

Donald Price
01-07-2008, 4:02 PM
As I pulled on a pair of clean jeans for work this morning I found the pockets full of chips. Usually I turn in jeans and a t-shirt. Lately I’ve added a sweat shirt to the mix to stay warm in my cold garage. (yes – it does actually get cold in San Diego – today it was in the 50’s).

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 4:04 PM
The AAW smock

Yup...I agree.....it's light in weight and is comfortable to wear even in the summer.

When I'm turning really wet wood, I use the one the LOML made for me out of an old tent rain cover. :eek: :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 4:05 PM
That's a mental picture I'd rather not have gotten today!!:eek::eek:

Nancy

ROFL!!!!

Now you can say THAT again!!!!! :p :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
01-07-2008, 4:06 PM
I agree with Jim the Packard smock is the best I have used. I like the elastic fit around the neck because it keeps shavings from getting down my shirt.

I must admit that I also use it when I'm routing dovetails for the same reason I wear it during turning...all that material spraying directly at me can make a real mess of the regular clothing I wear in the shop and I don't particularly like dust and chips down my collar!

Hilel Salomon
01-07-2008, 5:16 PM
Winter time, I use the sorby's which is full sleeved. Summertime, I use the AAW one which is short sleeved. On orders from the ADMIRAL I married, I also use a plastic hairnet so that she won't spend the night sneezing in the event I go to my shop after showering,
Luck, Hilel.

charlie knighton
01-07-2008, 7:58 PM
i received my first smock this xmas handmade by my sister, its nice to have big pockets with big flaps to put all the odds and ends i keep looking for, and now my pocket t-shirts do not have shavings in them, its really amazing how little i bring back into the living quarters thanks sis:D

John W. Willis
01-07-2008, 8:04 PM
Omar the tent maker retired so now I use a t-shirt.

Tom Hamilton
01-07-2008, 8:11 PM
A friend gave me a surgical gown and it has been my "go-to" turning garb. Knit cuffs, velcro at the neck and a belt tie around the middle. If you can get hold of one they are super.

Best regards, Tom

Bill Wyko
01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I use a long leather apron with the pockets on the inside. Only a pencil pocket outside. LOML doesn't like sawdust in the house.:o

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2008, 11:19 PM
That's a mental picture I'd rather not have gotten today!!:eek::eek: Nancy You got something against cops, Nance?