PDA

View Full Version : Minor gloat with future potential...

Pat Doble
01-05-2008, 9:56 PM
So I'm minding my own business in the shop doing some rough outs when LOML comes in a tells me to come outside. I, being the obedient husband :o, follow her outside where she points 3 houses down and across the street. Hmmmm - neighbor is having a tree taken down.

So I spend the next 15 minutes or so pondering whether I want to mosey down and ask the crew if I can grab some wood. (Normally there wouldn't be any doubt, but the shop is full of blanks, I've got about a dozen large box elder crotches under a tarp in the backyard, and about 6 big cottonwood chunks on and around that -and everything will need to move right away in the spring to expand the garden that got smaller this year when I added my shop to the back of the garage).

But of course, being hopelessly lost in the vortex, I soon head down and talk to the foreman - he says they have to go get their log lifter and truck, just cut what I want and he'll move it down to my driveway when he gets back. Fire up the Stihl - done.

So here's today's score - Mustard size hunks o' Ash. The log on the right is just under 20" diameter.

But the best part (and future gloat potential) is that while talking with him about an estimate for some trimming, he gives me his number and tells me whenever I need more wood to give him a call and he'll let me go through their log yard :eek:. They do 'board up' most of the large trunks they get, but he said anything else would be fair game. Said he'd rather see someone use it for woodworking than have them chip it. Yaaaahooooo.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow Pat!! Congrats on scoring the wood and also on making a contact that could really help you out in the future! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Richard Madison
01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Pat,
Don't forget to give your sweetie a big THANKS! for the heads-up on the tree being cut.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Great gloat. What a lady you have there.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Pat......You poor soul!...Or you lucky duck! Congrats on the wood and the wife!

George Guadiane
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Those are some of my favorite guys! They almost always have SOMETHING that I can add to my overpowering pile of wood.

Kevin McPeek
01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Nice gloat and good source. But I have a question, what's all that white stuff all over the place?

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 9:27 AM
Wow! Snow! Some gloat! I wish we got more of that up here. I haven't had a day off from school yet.

Oh... the gloat's about the wood? Nice score! Looking forward to seeing some turnings!!!

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 9:49 AM
Very nice. And be sure you get that foreman a bowl or something to keep him interested!