PDA

View Full Version : New lathe in action

Dave Bonde
02-26-2004, 3:00 PM
The new lathe we got fired up the troops again. I got to school today at 7:30 with the new lathe at 7:35 I had a student turning a pen, wew! I will try to post multiple pictures with his post. Dave

Keith Outten
02-26-2004, 4:48 PM
Dave,

Looks like you have a great group of pen turners at Riverbend. I know they are gonna love the new Jet Mini VS, it's a really nice lathe and runs smooth and quiet.

I've already seen their work, they can make some great looking pens.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and congratulations on the new lathe!

Daniel Yourdon
02-26-2004, 7:18 PM
Looks like they are having a great time at it to.
fine looking pen as well.

Bruce Page
02-26-2004, 7:30 PM
Great Pictures!!

Jerry Stringer
02-27-2004, 1:30 AM
What concentration! What focus! What great kids!

Thanks for sharing and tell them they are doing a great job!

Jerry

Tyler Howell
02-27-2004, 8:34 AM
What concentration! What focus! What great kids!

Thanks for sharing and tell them they are doing a great job!

Hi All,
I made this comment on a previous thread and wanted to say it again. We really have to support, prep and love this bunch coming up. Now's the time to get them while they are young. Thanks Dave.

"Our Hope for the future.
Maybe in their life time there will be no need for another FP effort.:confused:"

Diane Maluso
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Dave, I don't know how to thank you enough for sharing those pictures of the girls turning on the new lathe. There's a place for you in heaven for sharing woodworking with them. Some of you know that I'm an old-school feminist from the 70's and this post did my old activist heart some great good. Somehow this makes all the teach-ins, the letter-writing, the marches, and the whole thing worth it. Those girls will always remember that they could make something, that they could work the machine, that they could create, and that some guy thought they were worth teaching. Thank you, Dave.

Diane

Tyler Howell
02-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Dave, I don't know how to thank you enough for sharing those pictures of the girls turning on the new lathe. There's a place for you in heaven for sharing woodworking with them. Some of you know that I'm an old-school feminist from the 70's and this post did my old activist heart some great good. Somehow this makes all the teach-ins, the letter-writing, the marches, and the whole thing worth it. Those girls will always remember that they could make something, that they could work the machine, that they could create, and that some guy thought they were worth teaching. Thank you, Dave.

DianeDiane,
If you want to see a trail blazer checkout Barb Gills site. A real roll model for the women leaders of tomorrow.:)

Keith Outten
02-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Just look at those smiling faces! Long after the pen turning is done these girls will have the confidence they gained from trying something new and succeding. This will be a great foundation for their next challenge and the strength to reach even higher each day.

Teamwork and positive energy...the good deeds will come back to us all tenfold.

Dave, some days it must be great to be a teacher!

Diane Maluso
02-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Aw, Barb's been one of my heroes for years now. Why do you think I bought a Nova lathe?

Diane,
If you want to see a trail blazer checkout Barb Gills site. A real roll modal for the women leaders of tomorrow.:)

Dave Bonde
02-28-2004, 9:18 AM

Diane

Thanks Diane, I try hard to let all my students know they can do anything, there are no single gender occupations (or hobbies). When I taught just High School I was often frustrated seeing all the potential I didn’t have an opportunity to work with. The biggest advantage of my situation now is I get to work with every student at my school. I feel it is my job to expose my students to as many different technologies and possibilities as I can. Thanks again for your kind remarks. Dave