PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Pecan Bowl-My first stab at a bowl of sorts

Tim Brooks
01-05-2008, 8:53 PM
Okay, first let me point out that I found a pecan tree that had been downed on side of the road about 5 months ago. After bringing a couple of large pieces home, I finally found a chainsaw I could borrow and cut it up today. Much to my surprise, I found some spalting inside. :D

I figured I would give my new Nova G3 a try even though I had no idea what I was doing. Much to my delight, it stayed in the chuck and I turned something--some kind of bowl. The spalting is beautiful.

Hopefully, the pictures do it justice. I have a great deal to learn when it comes to turning bowls and the sort.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 8:59 PM
Very nice little bowl Tim! Beautiful wood - really nice finish - couldn't ask for anything more! Good work!

Allen Neighbors
01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
That's a nice and handy little catch-all bowl, Tim. Keep spinning!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Great bowl and beautiful wood. Nice change bowl.

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 9:28 AM
Nice bowl! Nice figure in that wood! Lets see more!

Jim Becker
01-06-2008, 9:51 AM
Very nice. I love it when folks turn their "first" bowl with about the hardest form to do well...one with a sharp bend at the bottom! LOL :D

Tom Sherman
01-06-2008, 10:42 AM
A very nice first Tim, Keep at it.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Tim, I'd say you did real good! Keep em coming!:)

Bill Bolen
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree with all the above! Very pretty. You don't see very many end grain bowls here and I really like the way the grain pops in yours. Being your first, don't give it away! You will find yourself comparing this to your future many others!....Bill....

Seth Poorman
01-06-2008, 1:34 PM
Great looking bowl and wood !!

Tim Brooks
01-06-2008, 4:02 PM
Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the kind words about the bowl. I woke up this morning to 4 cracks in the wall of the bowl. :( I need to learn how to finish them so they don't crack.

Thanks again,
Tim

robert hainstock
01-06-2008, 4:13 PM
That is a form that I use a lot. Nice and useful small catchall bowl. I have several around for stamps, candy, Etc.My first one, (Lilac) cracked because like you I left the pith in. That will almost always lead to cracking. Fixed it with epoxy. That was ten years ago, and it is still in use. Sometimes the piece is too nice or precious to throw away. :)
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2008, 4:30 PM
Tim....very nice first bowl....As suggested by Robert...leaving the pith in the bowl can lead to cracking and so can the wood still being wet. Most people will rough turn a bowl leaving the walls and bottom thickness equal to about 10% of the diameter of the bowl. In other words if the bowl is 10" across...they'll rough turn the bowl walls and bottom to about 1" thick. Then they'll use various methods of drying it and storing it. Some folks will soak it in DNA (denatured alcohol) for a day or two and then wrap it with newspaper or put it in a paper bag and let it dry for a month or two. Then return it to the lathe.....reround the tenon and finish turn and appy a finish. Others will boil the roughed out bowl...put it in a paper bag and let it dry.

Good luck ...and again..nice first bowl.

Don Eddard
01-06-2008, 4:57 PM
Nice first bowl. Better than mine for sure.

Alex Elias
01-07-2008, 2:56 AM
Beautiful bowl and piece of wood. Sorry about the craks.
Do you drive a saturn by any chance?

Tim Brooks
01-07-2008, 7:19 AM
Beautiful bowl and piece of wood. Sorry about the craks.
Do you drive a saturn by any chance?

No, I don't. Why do you ask?

Alex Elias
01-07-2008, 5:41 PM
Because the keys on the bowl look like the saturn ones. But if is not a Saturn most definetly has to be some sort of GM product.

No, I don't. Why do you ask?

Tim Brooks
01-07-2008, 7:07 PM
Because the keys on the bowl look like the saturn ones. But if is not a Saturn most definetly has to be some sort of GM product.
Right you are! Chevy Trailblazer...