PDA

View Full Version : RJ45 connectors

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 8:22 PM
Today I bought some RJ45 connectors to make up some lan cables. The tool I am using has a preset on it to strip the outer jacket to the proper length. My question now is how do I feed the wire into the connector so the wire goes into the correct position so it can be crimped. Is there a certain way this has to be done?:)

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 9:07 PM
There are different standards and for your LAN at home you probably only require a standard Ethernet pinning of 1,2,3 and 6 BUT, to make your life easy just pin the cable straight through. This means the (pick your color) wire on pin one at end A goes to pin one at end B. Do this for all eight pins. For a brief look at standard pinning: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/diff568ab.htm

Now as far as how do you get the little suckers in there and get them to hold still while you crimp; I strip the outer jacket leaving more than adequate length on the individual wires, arrange the wires in order and grip them with a pair of needle-nose pliers, cut them to the appropriate length and while continuing to hold them in the pliers, insert them into the head.

I should mention that heads are made for solid wire and heads are made for stranded wire. I have repaired way too many cables that were correct in all other areas but were just made with the wrong hardware.

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 9:11 PM
I should mention that heads are made for solid wire and heads are made for stranded wire. I have repaired way too many cables that were correct in all other areas but were just made with the wrong hardware.

I am using stranded wire. Is there any way to tell if the hardware is correct by looking at it?

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 9:23 PM
I am using stranded wire. Is there any way to tell if the hardware is correct by looking at it?
It involves the configuration of the gold pin pieces where they pierce the individual wire jacket during the crimp cycle. Stranded connectors usually have two pointed ends that pierce the jacket and wedge themselves amongst the strands. Solid connectors usually have a V formation that straddles the wire cutting the outside of the individual wire's insulator and capturing the solid core. If you bought your wire and ends from the same place at the same time you are probably fine. The problems I speak of occur where various types are stocked 'casually' and can get mixed up. If you want to be sure, check the manufacturer's website for the part number of the connector you have. For the most part it is safe to assume consumer-type cables and connectors are for stranded cable. Solid cable is used in wiring plants between patch panels in a computer room for example. I didn't mean to cause you unneccessary concern, my apologies. The geek in me gets loose sometimes.

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 9:25 PM
Charles, this is a very meticulous operation as you can see...and you need to keep everything twisted except for that little bit that actually slips into the channels in the connectors.

With the connector's metal conductors facing you, the sequence is:

Orange - Orange White - Green - Blue White - Blue - Green White - Brown - Brown White

Both ends get done the same way unless you are doing a cross-over table. In that case one end has the Orange and Green pairs flipped.

BTW, if you are using stranded cable, you must use connectors that are compatible with stranded cable.

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 9:57 PM
Thanks Glenn and Jim for the valuable information. I am pretty sure I have the right connector for stranded cable; the little gold connectors have 2 little points on them to pierce the cable insulation.

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks Glenn and Jim for the valuable information. I am pretty sure I have the right connector for stranded cable; the little gold connectors have 2 little points on them to pierce the cable insulation.
That's the right ones, proceed with much vigor!