PDA

View Full Version : Ah, yes. The makings of a beautiful bowl...

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 8:08 PM

AND THEN.......

Stupid.... idiot.... bowl gouge! You cheap piece of junk! Or perhaps it was my sharpening skills....

WELL, ANOTHER ONE FOR THE FIREPLACE!:mad:

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 8:12 PM
Ben - as long as you are OK it was just a learning experience! Bowls do have a tendency to self-destruct at times. Just grab another piece of wood and try again!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 8:57 PM
Ben....hold your bowl gouge up and I"ll help you

Bad gouge ......bad..bad...bowl gouge!

I'm working on a crude NE bowl of sorts. I had tear out in one area....decided I'd try a shear cut. Worked like a champ. Then I got cute thought I'd go ahead and try the shear cut to form the final foot shape....Bad idea....bad bowl gouge.....Well..maybe a bad bowl gouge driver.....:o

CW McClellan
01-05-2008, 9:42 PM
Now you guys are artist --put a small hook on it and place a picture of a duck or something in the center of it with the broken side down and hang it on the wall :D

Allen Neighbors
01-05-2008, 9:47 PM
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! Flying Saucers... er.. uh... bowls!:D
You have to just get back on the horse, Ben... can't let that stop you. :)
Glad it missed you.

Ernie Kuhn
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Ben,

Follow CW's suggestion. Finish sand it (off the lathe of course), shoot it with many coats of lacquer, mount it on a brass rod and a base. Call it "trashed art", "woodturner's lament", "broken dreams", or "that's life" and get it into an avante garde gallery. Might even scorch the broken edges a bit, maybe pyrography to accentuate them.

Ernie

David Wilhelm
01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I vote burn it. But hey it was a great story and i loved the pics:) If my brad. pear keeps on i'm gonna burn it too..................

Jon Lanier
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
But where is the broke off piece? The one I snapped the other day.. I have not found the break off yet. :eek:

Paul Heely
01-06-2008, 8:18 AM
At least you got your blown up bowl over with for the year. You only get one of those per year, right :rolleyes:.

Ben Gastfriend
01-06-2008, 9:24 AM
1- I wish I only got one per year, Paul.
2- CW, that's what my dad said- call it "modern art" and hang it up!
3- David, I'll probably throw it into the fire today.
4- Jon, I can't really find the broke off pieces, they probably vaporized.

Oh, well. Got lots more dogwood where that came from.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Boy can I feel your pain Ben!:(