PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Service/Repair shops

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-05-2008, 8:03 PM
I am on the verge of buying the Grizzly G0586 8" Jointer. I was at the Baltimore woodworking show this past weekend to see if I cold get a better price, and one of the salesmen was giving me the hard-sell on a Delta 8" jointer. One of his reasons to buy it over the Grizzly was that "no one services Grizzlies. If something breaks, your stuck."

Is this true? Has anyone had to have service done on their Grizzly tools before and find that they can't find someone to do it? Does anyone know how to find a service/repair shop for Grizzly tools? I didn't find anything on their website.

Thanks in advance,

Steven Wilson
01-05-2008, 8:15 PM
Yep, and hardly anyone services anything anymore so if it breaks you fix it.

Dave Lehnert
01-05-2008, 8:34 PM
I am on the verge of buying the Grizzly G0586 8" Jointer. I was at the Baltimore woodworking show this past weekend to see if I cold get a better price, and one of the salesmen was giving me the hard-sell on a Delta 8" jointer. One of his reasons to buy it over the Grizzly was that "no one services Grizzlies. If something breaks, your stuck."

Is this true? Has anyone had to have service done on their Grizzly tools before and find that they can't find someone to do it? Does anyone know how to find a service/repair shop for Grizzly tools? I didn't find anything on their website.

Thanks in advance,

What your dealer is telling you is true BUT....Woodworking equipment is easy to replace any part you would need. You would repair nothing. Just replace a part if that makes sence. A large dealer in town has an in house service department but is very up front with you that it is very expensive. you would most likley do the repair yourself. The service is there more for the pro shops that has very expensive complex equipment.
I would not be afraid to buy Grizzly at all. I think Grizzly is top of the line for after the sale service.

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2008, 9:19 PM
If you are talking warranty work, then yes it is probably true. But my bet is that anyone that can work on a Delta, Shop Fox, Steel City, PowerMatic, etc, etc, can work on a Grizzly. Might have to order parts from Griz, but I bet most of the bearings and such are the same as those in the other brands, or easily available from the local bearing supplier. Trunnions might be a little different between brands, pulleys that sort of thing. But again, easy to order from Griz. And I agree, most of us would tackle the job ourselves. Most woodworking machines are pretty basic tools. Jim.

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-05-2008, 9:28 PM
Most woodworking machines are pretty basic tools. Jim.

Jointers are basic tools? Wow. Don't I feel inadequate. I guess that's what happens when an art major starts to tinker. But I'm used to it. My wife knows more about cars then I do. :-)

fRED mCnEILL
01-05-2008, 9:47 PM
From my experience and from what I have heard and read on here I'll bet that of ALL the tool suppliers creekers might buy from Grizzly would be the fastest to get you a needed part. You don't have to search very far to find people who rave about Grizzly service. I don't hear the same plaudits tossed towards many other brands.

Fred Mc.

M Toupin
01-05-2008, 9:53 PM
WW machinery generally comes with "some assembly required" and sooner or later you'll need to change blades and make minor adjustments too. You could have a service tech repair or assemble, repair or adjust your equipment, but at the going rate of $50-$80 per hour (or part of an hour) it can get real expensive real quick. If you can handle the basic assembly, you'll be OK with the maintenance and repair for simple machines like a jointer. Just take it slow and follow the directions. There are also several decent books on machine maintenance and repair if you need a bit of help.

Mike

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
If you can handle the basic assembly, you'll be OK with the maintenance and repair for simple machines like a jointer. Just take it slow and follow the directions.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I kid because I love, but I feel fine assembling and some of the basics, but when things go wrong, the diagnosis of the problem can be more difficult then the repair.

For example, here is a funny story. I have a DeWalt contractor saw that I managed to put together following the directions, but when I got to the part of installing the sliding table, I ran into a snag. Even though I followed the directions, I couldn't get the saw table and the sliding to align properly. I called DeWalt, and then gave me the number of the local technicians.

First, the local guys kept thinking I had the smaller saw. When I finally convinced them that I had the contractor saw, they said that the only guy that could answer my question wasn't in. They gave me his name, and told me to call back tomorrow. So I called back the next day asking for the guy. The same thing happened. Even though I asked for the guy by name, they thought I had the smaller saw, then they would tell me the guy wasn't in. This went on for two weeks. One of the techs even recognized my voice. It started to get so ridiculous, that I just had to laugh it off. Anyway, after much finagling - including taking it apart and starting over - I managed to luck my way into fixing it myself... I hope.

I guess that is why I am not that thrilled not having a go-to place for repairs on the jointer. Of course I thought I did have a go-to place for the DeWalt saw, but I guess the got-to got up and went. :-)

Bruce Wrenn
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Personally, I consider repair centers to be PARTS HOUSES. I go there and either order, or buy part if it is in stock. If you can't remember how things go together, use a digital camera and take pictures during disassembly. Instant memory. Most wood working machines require no special tools for service. Probably the only tool you wouldn't already own is a bearing puller, and both Auto Zone, and Advance Auto Parts will lend you one for free. But you do have to put up a deposit. Can't remember what was the last tool I borrowed from the "Zone", but deposit was less than cost of tool.

Dave MacArthur
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Ok, my only real question here, and I know it is OT but..
HOW do you pronounce SZCZEPANSKI? I find myself thinking, anyone who can say that name every day has GOT to be able to fix a jointer! ;)

Bill Lantry
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Come on, Jonathon, if you can spend all that time building that big ol shop, and in Beltsville, of all places, you can spend a couple hours fixing a little jointer... ;)

It's got a motor, a switch, some pulleys, a belt, and a cutter head. What could go wrong? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-06-2008, 9:07 AM
...HOW do you pronounce SZCZEPANSKI? ;)

Dave - Not an uncommon question. I will try and spell it out phoenetically. Hopefully I won't violate the laws of physics :-)

Properly pronounced, it is STCHEA - PINE - SKI, but your 90% of the way there if you say SHOW - PINE - SKI.

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-06-2008, 9:09 AM
Come on, Jonathon, if you can spend all that time building that big ol shop, and in Beltsville, of all places...

Bill -

Good point. I'm willing to try. I guess if I lived in Jointerburg, I would have no excuse at all :-)

M Toupin
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
after much finagling - including taking it apart and starting over - I managed to luck my way into fixing it myself... I hope.

My point exactly, I don't think there was much luck involved, you figured out the problem and then figured out how to FIX it. You learned something that day, future fixes won't be as difficult as you now have a little experience to fall back on. You really don't need some guy to come over and fix it for you so you can give him your hard earned $$ do do something you could have done to begin with. Have a bit of confidence in yourself, some guy built the thing, you CAN fix it.

Mike

Scott Kilroy
01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
... but when things go wrong, the diagnosis of the problem can be more difficult then the repair.

Good point, one of my friends is a former auto mechanic and another is a retired machinist, I've helped them with a few projects that were way over my skills and almost everything we did involved about 80% diagnosing the problem.

Jonathan Szczepanski
01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Well guys, I think you have given me enough confidence. I have made the purchase. Now I need to find some helping hands to haul it back to my shop.