PDA

View Full Version : Help cleaning my Old 'Arn

Charles Wiggins
01-05-2008, 7:15 PM
Well, I have my new arbor bearings and I have to put the thing back together but there's some rust and debris on the parts. What's the best way to clean them up before I reassemble the arbor? I was planning on using mineral spirits and a brass brush. Is a Scotch Brite pad too abrasive?

Lee Koepke
01-05-2008, 8:29 PM
Well, I have my new arbor bearings and I have to put the thing back together but there's some rust and debris on the parts. What's the best way to clean them up before I reassemble the arbor? I was planning on using mineral spirits and a brass brush. Is a Scotch Brite pad too abrasive?
not really sure. but .... the guys over at Old WW machines .com were really helpful when I started the unknow territory of rebuilding my old Rockwell.

www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com)

Good Luck. Restoration makes a machine special

Cary Falk
01-05-2008, 8:32 PM
I have always had good luck with a wire brush on a drill or on a bench grinder. There are different thicknesses of wire burushes that would be less harsh. I have used WD40 and Scotch bright. It requires a little more elbow grease. Mineral spirits should work also. What are you cleaning up, a table saw?

Charles Wiggins
01-05-2008, 9:48 PM
I have always had good luck with a wire brush on a drill or on a bench grinder. There are different thicknesses of wire burushes that would be less harsh. I have used WD40 and Scotch bright. It requires a little more elbow grease. Mineral spirits should work also. What are you cleaning up, a table saw?

It's a 1950's vintage Delta/Rockwell Homecraft, 9" TS/4" joiner combo.
I'm just doing the arbor and trunnion assembly because one of the bearing froze up. 50 years of service is not too shabby. I hope the new Japanese bearings do half as well.