PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about making CAMO Pens...

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2004, 2:25 PM
Just wondering if there is a way to make a camo pen......any ideas?

Ken Salisbury
02-26-2004, 2:30 PM

If I knew what a "camo pen" was I could probably tell ya :D

Hal Peeler
02-26-2004, 2:32 PM
Dennis, There are some camo colors in diamond wood, I've used them for deer and duck calls. Check with HUT. They also have a new black shadow pattern thats pretty cool. Hope this helps.
Hal

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2004, 2:36 PM
If I knew what a "camo pen" was I could probably tell ya :D

Ken....

That is <b>camouflage.</b>

Joel Shapiro
02-26-2004, 4:09 PM
I misplace my pens all the time. Imagine what would happen with camouflage!

Arvin Brown
02-26-2004, 4:11 PM
I've made some out of CAMO arrow shafts.

Joel Shapiro
02-26-2004, 6:12 PM
You could probably make some from Polymer Clay. It's available at craft shops and in many colors.

Jerry Stringer
02-26-2004, 6:24 PM

Arvin . . .

You are NOT going to get by with that simple answer!!

How? what kind of shaft, what size?

What secures the pen hardware?

Details . . . we need details!!

Thanks!

Jerry

Julie Wright
02-26-2004, 6:37 PM
Joel,
Do tell. WHat do you know about polymer clay? I would like to know. Did you see the pens at penturners.org by pens of color? They are way cool !!

Julie Wright
02-26-2004, 6:45 PM
http://www.hutproducts.com/dwood9.html Here is Camo and sportsman colors

http://www.hutproducts.com/colorwood9.html

Sheila Crosby
02-26-2004, 9:04 PM
Polymer Clay is probably the best way I know to make a camouflage pen...you can make it woodsy colored like deer hunters use...or sandy desert colored like what the troops in Iraq wear. All you do is pick the colors you want.

Michael's Arts and Crafts carries several varieties and brands of polymer clay...we use the Sculpey III because it was the easiest to work by hand. There is no end to the colors and combinations of colors you can create with the clay. And it fires right in your oven at home...no fancy stuff. Just be sure to use a cookie sheet or bread pan STRICTLY for the clay...don't use those again for cooking for your family. And, if you have pets or babies in the home, and especially birds, make sure there is plenty of ventilation before you start baking the clay. The fumes aren't too obnixious, but birds and babies are highly susceptible.

Hope this helps! You can see some pics of some polymer clay pens I have done over at www.penturners.org under one of Julie's posts.

Our local Woodcraft here in St. Louis asked me a couple of years ago to give a class on polymer clay pens, but I was only a couple of months into it and didn't feel I had the knowledge. Oh, to go back in time...

Sheila

PS..thanks, Julie! Call me this Sunday...I will tell you what I know. Saturday, I am at the woodworker's show all day!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-26-2004, 9:17 PM

... of a Camo pen I did for a hunter friend of mine using a Carbide arrow and antler combo. I left the "Monster Buck" emblem on the pen so he could show it off as well as the "Realtree" logo. They have a variety of Camo pattterns available. You just have to be careful when pressing the twist mechanism into the shaft because the carbide shaft isn't flexible like the brass tubes you're used to using. I've busted several trying to get one to work. Any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Ron

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5538

Jim Becker
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
You could probably make some from Polymer Clay. It's available at craft shops and in many colors.

This was what I was going to suggest...mold this stuff together, let it cure and then make it into blanks. It "should" turn something like Corian, although it may require a little more work to get shiny and slick.

Greg Heppeard
02-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I think you could make a really nice one with a hand picked California buckeye burl blank and some alcohol based dye. I'll give it a shot next week end and see how it works and post the pic before I turn it over to FPP

Dennis Peacock
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM

Arvin.....

Yea....do tell how you did that.....I think I would like to give that a try.!

Joel Shapiro
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Julie,
I worked with polymer clay some time ago embedding some metals in flat castings for hardware for some of my clocks. Several people in the Yahoo Penturners group have used it with varying degrees of success. I don't know how well it wears with constant handling but it should hold up.

I'll have to give it a try.

Joe Judge
12-06-2004, 12:52 PM
An earlier reply mentioned using arrow shafts.
I just bumped into a pensite by Richard Kleinhenz. He has http://www.beautifulhandmadepens.com

Search site for 'arrow' -- there are some fine examples of some camo arrow shafts being used. He leaves on part of the tip of the shaft.

So -- when my freedom kits show up, I think R/W/B flag-like pens and camo-arrow-shaft pens are something I'll hit first :-)

However, a google/froogle search on "camouflage arrow shafts" shows them as costly items. Even eBay seems to have them as costly items.

DARN IT -- I'm still going to do some!

-- joe