PDA

View Full Version : Brad nailer won't shoot

Bob Roberts
01-05-2008, 5:55 PM
I have an 18 ga. brad nailer. After connecting the air hose to it, everything seems ok. No leaks. When I pull the trigger, as if driving a brad, air leaks from the trigger area. I have replaced all the o-rings in the trigger assembly and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Paul Girouard
01-05-2008, 6:00 PM
New or used? Does it need oil , does it take oil , some are oil-less. A brad nailer doesn't take much PSI to operate , but what is your compressor set at ? Bigger guns can have issues with to low or lack of pressure and not fire as the piston does NOT return properly when operated at low PSI , or lack of volume , IE running a few guns and the compressor can "keep up" with enought PSI.

Is the driver sticking ? If so lube the driver shaft .

Bob Roberts
01-05-2008, 6:06 PM
It is a gun I have had for about 10 years now and have used several times a week throughout the years. It does use oil and I oil it regularly. I checked the gun for a possible "jam" but that was not the problem. I also checked the piston and it moves freely.

Paul Girouard
01-05-2008, 6:09 PM
It is a gun I have had for about 10 years now and have used several times a week throughout the years. It does use oil and I oil it regularly. I checked the gun for a possible "jam" but that was not the problem. I also checked the piston and it moves freely.

Prolly needs full "O" ring replacement, I'd head to the nearest Borg and get a new Senco , they've ALL improved guns so much in ten years you have no idea what your missing. Late Christmas for Bob is in order I'd say :D

You 'll spend more in time and frustration fixing the old one MTL.

Dale Lesak
01-05-2008, 7:03 PM
Some guns wont fire if the air pressure gets to low. On mine if the pressure is below about 45 it won't fire. I have three different guns and they all the same. Dale

Bob Genovesi
01-05-2008, 7:31 PM
I have an 18 ga. brad nailer. After connecting the air hose to it, everything seems ok. No leaks. When I pull the trigger, as if driving a brad, air leaks from the trigger area. I have replaced all the o-rings in the trigger assembly and still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Bob,

I have a Stanley Bostich BT35 and the same thing just happened to mine. There's a valve assembly inside the frame and one seal inside the assembly was gone. I'm going to by a new valve assembly but in the meantime I bought a pretty nice 18 gage Hitachi brad nailer from Lowes that works very well.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NT32AE2.jpg

John Canfield
01-06-2008, 5:00 PM
I have a Stanley-Bostitch brad nailer and angled finish nailer that are about 10 years ago and both started leaking around the trigger assembly three or four years ago (as soon as you connect air, they leak.) Put the guns away and bought a Porter Cable brad nailer (sweet, sweet nailer) but didn't replace the finish nailer.

Now I find I am missing my finish nailer after setting up my new shop after moving. Found a web store that carries parts and called them (Mending Shed in Utah) and they sent me two trigger valve assemblies and viola! I now have two working guns :D

-=John=-