PDA

View Full Version : Need help in Lansing

Joe Melton
01-05-2008, 4:44 PM
I bought a pickup on auction from a government office in East Lansing, Michigan. The "responsible" person refuses to go outside and try to start it, saying they "just don't have the manpower." I am going to fly up there to get the truck in a week and drive it back to Colorado, but I need to have it moved away from the govt. office before I can get up there. So, if anyone is in the area and can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. In fact, I will bring you a wonderful piece of Australian burl to repay you.
Private email is probably best for this.
Thanks,
Joe

M Toupin
01-05-2008, 7:05 PM
Joe, not wanting to rain on your parade, but you're a brave man buying a auction vehicle, sight unseen, and then trying to drive it across the upper Midwest in the middle of winter. I've never bought an auction vehicle, but I know folks who have. I have also been on the auctioning end though and can tell you some horror stories. Auction vehicles wind up in an auction for a reason generally. They also frequently become parts donors beforehand. Sometimes you get a decent vehicle, sometimes you get a stripped out hulk with lots of problems if it's even movable. Unless you have the tools with you and know how, at a minimum I'd take it to a garage and have them thoroughly go over it before you start out.

Good luck

Mike

Joe Melton
01-05-2008, 9:20 PM
Life's an adventure, Mike.
GSA sold about a dozen of these Silverados at auction at one time, so I suspect they were sold based on age and mileage, rather than condition. They were all 4x4s with campers, and 2001 and 2002 vintage. I'm retired so in no hurry to get anywhere. I just need to get the truck out of the GSA lot.
Michigan doesn't get that cold, anyway.
Joe

David G Baker
01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Joe,
It is not the cold but the road conditions in Michigan that may put a damper on your travel plans.
Let us know how it turns out on your adventure from sunny Michigan to cold and cloudy Colorado Springs. :D

Jim Podsedly
01-06-2008, 8:51 AM
Joe,

PM sent.

M Toupin
01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I've dealt with GSA and city auctions extensively from the selling side... I hope it works out for you; I'd venture to say you’re in for a journey.:D Good luck with it and let us know how it works out. I'd think one of those adventure blog threads would be fun for those of us living vicariously through your trek.:)

Mike

Joe Melton
01-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Jim Podsedly, a list member, kindly went and checked out the pickup for me. He said it started right up; that is a big load off my mind. I'm flying up there tomorrow to collect it and drive it back to Colorado, so I've been watching the weather forecasts. Does it snow EVERY freaking day in Michigan?
Joe

Matt Meiser
01-13-2008, 11:13 AM
No, but there is a chance almost every day. We haven't had real snow since about the 1st or 2nd in the SE corner of the state. Lansing might get a little more. Usually when the NWS (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Lansing&state=MI&site=GRR&textField1=42.7091&textField2=-84.554&e=0) says chance of snow, that means snow fluries or snow showers that don't really accumulate.

Are you flying into Lansing or Detroit?

David G Baker
01-13-2008, 2:14 PM
Joe,
Last week the roads were dry, most of the snow had melted and it was in the mid 50's in many areas of Michigan. You missed a great clear period.
I am about 90 miles North of Lansing and we have had around 6 inches over the past 3 days up here but I don't know how Lansing made out. Try the National Doppler Weather site, that should give you an idea of what to expect.
Michigan does an excellent job of keeping main roads clear so unless we get a major storm or you have to do a lot of traveling on back roads you should be okay.

Joe Melton
01-14-2008, 1:06 AM
I fly into Lansing about noon tomorrow. Using Uship.com, I booked some freight to bring to Denver from Indianapolis, and the money will more than pay for my gas.
Considering the weather, I will be relieved to get successfully out of Michigan and into the tropics of Indiana.
Joe

Joe Melton
01-18-2008, 6:43 PM
Some people expressed further interest in this, so I am posting that I got the truck and got home just fine. The truck ran very well, but used a lot of gas. The trip across Kansas was kinda harrowing due to horizontally-blowing ice. (The only thing worse than driving across Kansas at night is doing it in the daytime.)
When I got home I had time to check it out and found it is a 2001 and not the 2002 the GSA said it was. Further, I discovered when I picked up the truck that it is a V8 instead of the V6 the GSA said it was. This is not a big problem since the V6 would be sort of puny in this vehicle, but the difference in year is a problem. I contacted GSA by email and they asked me to send supporting documentation and tell them what I want done about it. So I did, and am awaiting their reply.
Michigan sure has a lot of trees. I guess they need more woodworkers up there.
Joe

Michael Morgan
01-18-2008, 7:01 PM
I have a similar story I guess, I sold a 98 Ford Expedition with 190,000 miles on it and a bad head gasket. It would miss pretty bad. I sold it on ebay and described it honestly. The end of the listing said "it may keep running another year or it might blow up when you pull out of my driveway" It sold for $2,600.00:eek: I was hoping to get 5 bills for it. The guy flew from Texas to Western Pa. and we took care of the title and he drove it to Texas with no trouble at all.
I couldn't believe someone would pay $2600.00 for the truck, couple hundred in a plane ticket, couple hundred in gas and waste 3 days for that truck???? Maybe he knew something I didn't:confused:

M Toupin
01-18-2008, 7:28 PM
Glad the vehicle and the trip went well. Driving anything across the Midwest in the middle of winter can be eventful!

Mike

Jim Podsedly
01-19-2008, 8:54 AM
Joe,

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

That is strange they had the wrong information on the vehicle.

The V8 probably accounts for the poor mileage but you may also check the catalytic (spelling?) converter. They have been known for producting poor gas mileage as well.

Jim