PDA

View Full Version : Next year's ornaments from this year's tree?

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I just cut all the limbs off the thicker section of the Christmas tree and cut the trunk off. I cut it into pieces about 1' long and was wondering if some type of WB paint would work like Anchorseal on the endgrain so I don't get radial cracks? Thanks for your input!

Dean Thomas
01-05-2008, 3:07 PM
I think my honey would be upset if I tried that. Plus turning aluminum tubing into ornaments is hard on my gouges. :eek:

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks for your serious reply, Dean!

Anybody know? I'm sure somebody else out there has run out of Anchoseal!

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 6:08 PM
Ben, PM me...you can come up and get some Anchorseal from me. I have a five gallon pail and can certainly spare some. But if you want to use the paint, yes you can. But nothing can guarantee that those pieces will not develop radial cracking. Nature of the beast.

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 7:59 PM
Not sure I'd be able to make it up there. This weekend's kinda hectic. I'll try the paint, but thanks very much for the offer, Jim!

David Wilhelm
01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I have an old deep fry in my shop that i keep parafin??? well wax in i just warm it up and dip the ends of stuf in it and lay it up works great. Fresh cut green limbs have never split or QS i thrown old candles, crayons what ever i find in it now.