PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong here?

Ian Haywood
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm going to look at a Freud 8" dado blade that I saw on craig's list. I don't own a table saw yet. Is this a problem? :D

Ian

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Not necessarily. If you are after a dado blade I assume you will factor 'operation of an 8" dado blade' into your requirements for your future saw. That being said I would not waste time with the SD-208. Go straight to the SD-508. Or go with the Dial-a-Width model but this is even more specific on the table saws that can run it. Do this and buy one only once. I had to go with the SD-508 as my saw would not take the SD-608 at any decent width of cut. I am very happy with the SD-508.

Greg Heppeard
01-05-2008, 1:35 PM
8" for 3hp + saw is ok. For a contractors model or smaller than 3hp, I would look for a 6"

Jon Bonham
01-05-2008, 1:41 PM
I don't own a 7518 router yet and I just bid and won a Woodpecker Quick Lift 420. :D

Jesse Cloud
01-05-2008, 1:43 PM
Yes, Ian, there may be a problem. You may be a worse toolaholic than I am.;)

Seriously though, if the set is used, ask for a demo. Dado sets can dull quickly and they can be expensive to sharpen.

Chuck Lenz
01-05-2008, 3:32 PM
Not necessarily. If you are after a dado blade I assume you will factor 'operation of an 8" dado blade' into your requirements for your future saw. That being said I would not waste time with the SD-208. Go straight to the SD-508. Or go with the Dial-a-Width model but this is even more specific on the table saws that can run it. Do this and buy one only once. I had to go with the SD-508 as my saw would not take the SD-608 at any decent width of cut. I am very happy with the SD-508.
Whats wrong with the SD-208 ? I've had good results with mine.

Norman Pyles
01-05-2008, 4:12 PM
I see no problem buying any tool.:cool:

Joe Chritz
01-05-2008, 5:51 PM
Jesse has good advice on checking the teeth.

I am fortunate that I have a good sharpening service that is $0.25 per tooth and does very good work. More so that I have a Belsaw and do my own blades under 80 TPI.

Check for chips and missing carbide. Nearly all of that can be fixed but when you start adding up teeth it can get expensive in a hurry.

Joe

Ian Haywood
01-05-2008, 6:51 PM
I ended up not getting it. He couldn't identify what model it was, and said that it had some "anti-kickback" features which suggested to me that it was their "safety dado". He wanted $75 for it and I couldn't find a new price online in a quick search.

The saw it was going on is the Bosch 4100 which has a claimed 4hp motor. That's arriving next month if all goes as planned.

Ian