PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit HX3040 setup

James Jaragosky
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I got a pm from another rabbit hr3040 owner yesterday, asking about how I set up for jobs. because the laser head is not controlled with Corel draw. Newelydraw the program used with the HX3040, is very basic is somewhat limited in what it can do. ie... the the cutting table in the laser is not numbered. so it is very difficult to tell where you are setting up the job in the software in relationship to the cutting table.

Here is my answer from the pm. I hope this will help other Rabbit Hx3040 owners.

[quote=jAMES jARAGOSKY]I have that problem as well. I work around it two ways.
1. In newely draw you can input the exact location of where you want your image to start from, as well as the exact size that image will be. Upper left Connor you will find the boxes to input this data look for the x – y -w – H fields. Just erase the numbers in these fields and input the correct ones. I get these numbers from the original template when cutting it and writing them down.
2. Or you can keep a small piece of thin stock handy and place it over the piece you are working on,
Fire a single pulse, and adjust from there. I use the second method for most single setup jobs.
the second way for jobs that I have to engrave and cut
I find the benefit of the laser returning to the last known starting location is that you can do multi piece jobs more easily if you set it up correctly.
I made a “square” out of 3/16 birch and I hold that in position with very short dowel rod pieces I cut just for that purpose. I place the dowel rod pieces in the corrugated cutting table and bump the “square” against the bottom (because this is the only place in the compartment that is even close to square) and peg it on the right to keep it from sliding and changing position. I will try to attach a photo.
Because this sounds confusing even to me, and I know what I am trying to say.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l262/jrj5x5/camera015.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l262/jrj5x5/camera014.jpg

This is how i currently set up jobs on my rabbit hx3040
I scanned the photo in grayscale at 400 dpi
Then acquire it with Corel paint
Sized the paper and image in paint
raised the brightness and contrast by 15 in Corel paint. (This number varies depending on the photo)
Run it through Photograv using 400dpi and birch as my settings
saved it as a bmp file
imported it to Newelydraw
set my settings on the laser in Newleydraw (photograv suggested 600 speed at 87% power for this photo, but i find that at this dpi 300 speed works better on birch for my machine)
Burn!

if you more experienced guys see a flaw or way to do this easier please let me know jim.

Arturo Villegas
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Great info.:)