PDA

View Full Version : Computer speakers...

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Who makes a good set of computer speakers? I am considering a set of Bose speakers.:)

Gary Keedwell
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Who makes a good set of computer speakers? I am considering a set of Bose speakers.:)
Got a feeling you took a wrong turn on your way to the off topic place:eek:

Gary

Mark Valsi
01-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I have the BOSE and like them very much. For the small size and amount of space that the "DON"T" take up, they are very convenient !

Mike Marcade
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I like Klipsch Promedia myself, but this should be moved to off-topic.

David Weaver
01-05-2008, 1:14 PM
You don't need to spend big bucks to get good sounding and small computer speakers. If you want bose because you like them, you can certainly go that route, but there are tons of high-quality speaker sets for computers that are $80-100.

Go to a best buy or some other retailer and go to the computer speaker section and try them out. You'll be astounded by the quality of sound from the computer speakers in the $80+ range, and lots of them are of the 5.1 or 6.1 style.

Brian Kent
01-05-2008, 1:22 PM
I am a sound nut. I was extremely surprised by Cyber Acoustics - even their under $50 offerings. Never take somebody else's word on sound, though. Just when you are listening, check out the 3 and 5 speaker CA offerings. I ended up spending MUCH LESS than I expected.

For context, I am finally selling my 6 foot Magnapans because I can't afford $1,000 worth of replacement amps and more $$$ on a pre-amp. I am not a stranger to good sound. Cheap computer speakers are a different animal, but I was surprised by how much clear sound was coming from the little ones.

Bill Huber
01-05-2008, 1:27 PM
Just make sure what ever brand you get you get a subwoofer, they make all the difference in the world.

Bob Rufener
01-05-2008, 3:36 PM
Bose makes great products-a bit pricey. I bought a set of Monsoon speakers for computers-MM 700. Great sound and not that pricey. Flat panel speakers with a nice sub woofer. Ebay sometimes has them up for sale. Definitely get a sub woofer-makes a world of difference.

Tim Morton
01-05-2008, 4:26 PM
I have some Cambridge Soundworks speakers that don't sound bad.:)

Don't sell your maggie's....you will regret it, maybe not today...but someday...and for the rest of your life:cool:

mark page
01-05-2008, 4:35 PM
Logitech, Boston Accoustics, Cambridge. I have all three of these and they sound great. All have the subwoofers and surround/or/5.1 surround sound. I prefer the Logitech system's sound out of all of them as it has a superb bass response.

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2008, 4:51 PM
What makes a good system is what sounds good to you. I like Bose...Bose on the Puters...the 3-2-1 on our TV system...the sound docks for the IPOD's...and I have some old 901's in the shop.

Paul Geer
01-05-2008, 6:16 PM
Altec Lansing makes a darn good set of computer speakers as well.

Jeff Cybulski
01-06-2008, 9:24 PM
I'll second Altec Lansing. I have 2 sets. one for the pc and the other is hooked up to the Dish in the shop. Very happy with them.

jeff

Cary Falk
01-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I think I have an Altec Lansing 5.1 system on my computer and it is way overkill for me personally. I used to want the best sound card and speakers. I am currently using the on-board sound chip due to lack of PCI slots. I don't play movies or games anymore so sound is not a priority for me.

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2008, 8:06 PM
I've got the Boston Acoustics on my computer. Run an old Alpine car stereo amp and a pair of Bose 301's on the wife's computer. :eek: Amp is powered by an Astron 25 amp power supply, and volume is controlled by a Sony dual amp balancer. Talk about a hodge-podge system, but it works :D They could use a nice sub, but I took the old MTX 10 dual voice coil to the shop. Still need to get a crossover built for it. ;) Jim.

Aliza Martin Joe
10-13-2016, 1:04 AM
I've got the Boston Acoustics on my computer. Run an old Alpine car stereo amp and a pair of Bose 301's on the wife's computer. :eek: Amp is powered by an Astron 25 amp power supply, and volume is controlled by a Sony dual amp balancer. Talk about a hodge-podge system, but it works :D They could use a nice sub, but I took the old MTX (http://www.wordsiseek.com/mtx-jackhammer/) 10 dual voice coil to the shop. Still need to get a crossover built for it. ;) Jim.

How the sony dual amp balance working for you? I have a bad experience with that? And what is your opinion about Mtx Jackhammer ? Have you ever used it?

Sean Troy
10-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Why not a good pair of head phones.

Prashun Patel
10-13-2016, 11:53 AM
I have some Bose's that I've been using for 10 years. Good.

However, I would also consider the SONOS system. If you want something for music, then SONOS is versatile, modular, and the sound quality is on par with anything but the philiest audiophile could compare it to. I use Bose speakers at work, but SONOS for any sound that matters at home.

Brett Luna
10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
I have the Bose Companion 5 speaker system on my desktop PC and haven't regretted the purchase for a minute. But as others mentioned, there are a lot of great options on the market. You might want to check some of the PC and/or audio websites (CNET, DigitalTrends, etc.) for their recent reviews and roundups.

James Gunning
10-13-2016, 12:49 PM
+1 for the Klipsch Promedia speakers. Had them for years and are the best I have ever heard attached to a computer.

John Stankus
10-13-2016, 4:00 PM
I have some Bose's that I've been using for 10 years. Good.

Wow! You got the Boses just slightly before the first page of posts in this thread :)

Myk Rian
10-13-2016, 5:16 PM
^^^This^^^

Garth Almgren
10-13-2016, 5:32 PM
I traded a slow CD burner for a set of Altec Lansing speakers with a subwoofer about 12 years ago (WAY before the post I'm replying to! :D), still one of the best trades I've ever made. I'm still using them 3 or 4 computers later and they still sound great.

Curt Harms
10-14-2016, 9:56 AM

That's what I use 99% of the time. Headphones may not be an option for someone that needs to move around unless they go with some sort of wireless though.

Michael Schneider
10-14-2016, 10:10 AM
I looked around for 2 sets, I used audioengine for both.

Set 1:
audioengine b2 - small, built in bluetooth (very handy to drive from computer, phone, or pad)

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Bluetooth-Speaker-Walnut/dp/B00OZ7369Q/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1476453783&sr=8-15&keywords=audioengine

Set 2:
audioengine a5+ audioengine subwoofer + audioengine bluetooth module - main set of speaker in living room/office. Great speaker, large sound stage for bigger rooms.

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Speaker-Carbonized/dp/B005SE6QBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1476454100&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=audioengine+a5%2B&psc=1&smid=AKR88PAWTQVN2

I really like music and good speakers. They are very clean in the mids and work great for jazz, rock, blues, country. Vocals are strong and clean

glenn bradley
10-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Obviously (thanks to our members) many sub-$100 brands are reported to have given good performance. I will add to this. I have an ancient set of Cambridge woofer/satellites that is small enough that I used to haul it with me back when I traveled for work. It is my system in my current office and still sounds fine for that (quiet) environment. I have a Yamaha system at home that is actually for my piano, I just tapped into it for the home office as it is in the same room. I have an Altec sub/sat system in another location and again, under $100 and sounds great. Computer audio is not sound system / home theater audio so there is no need to make it overly loud or dramatic; it just becomes loud, poor, sound ;-)

Tom Stenzel
10-14-2016, 11:59 AM

I've tried headphones for watching movies and don't like it. The way the sound track is done with sounds seeming coming out of every direction is disconcerting. It sounds fine on the 5.1 sound systems and their ilk which the movie makers were probably targeting when they set up the sound track.

As far as speakers go considering when this thread started I would think Chuck is ready to update about now. :) I'm still old school with these things called stereo receivers, TVs with CRTs, and even an AM-FM cassette walkman. My computer speakers (JBL Platinum) are just for listening to podcasts and junk like that. Fidelity? Bah!

-Tom