PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee D-Handle Router

Clint Gauthier
01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm considering a d-handle router, and the Milwaukee 5619 is currently at the top of my list.

How does this router compare to the competition, and is variable speed needed for the size bits that can be used with this class of routers?

Thanks!

John Thompson
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I have never used the D handle Milwaukee, Clint. But.. I can tell you I have a Milwaukee 5625 3 1/2 HP under my table for 6 years and it will never be replaced. It's a brute of power.. long travel.. bit change is super quick.. same with changing from 1/4" to 1/2" collet.. machined extremely well and I could go on.

And... I just sold a Bosch combo and a DW 721 plunge and picked up the Milwaukee Combo kit with the Body Grip fixed base and new plunge in the 2 1/4 HP. They also have a 1 3/4 HP... but the 2 1/4 HP is more suited if you wanted to put the fixed under a table. BTW... all Milwaukee's have on-board above table adjustments so IMO.. an expensive lift is not necessary at all

My conclusion is: All the Milwaukee's I have, 3 1/2 HP fixed.. 2 1/4 HP plunge and fixed base are the best routers I have seen come in my shop in 36 years and that includes about 6 different brands. And... there is not a chance they will leave my shop either.

Shop around and compare... then go for the best you find from comparing one to another. That is the ticket...

Sarge..

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 1:02 PM
Another happy owner; 5625 in the table and a 5615 for dovetails. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to buy another Milwaukee router. The two I have don't even make an attempt at dust control so if that is important, be aware. The 5619 shares the same body design. I call it the snowblower but the quality of the machine is above question so I sweep.

The variable speed will have to be a judgement call by you. if the cost is reasoonable I would go VS. I tend to slow things down for a 3/8" radius roundover for example. In the table I feel VS is critical to producing a wide array of quality cuts.

Kevin L. Pauba
01-05-2008, 1:11 PM
I just picked up a 5625 yesterday and had a question on the above-table height adjustment when installed in a table.

Unless I provide a bit of force from the bottom (actually, the top of the router when under the table), turning the t-handle adjusting wrench will raise the bit but it then will drop down again.

Is this normal or should I take it back for replacement?

Man, is it a nice hunk of power though!

Wade Lippman
01-05-2008, 1:17 PM
I'm considering a d-handle router, and the Milwaukee 5619 is currently at the top of my list.

How does this router compare to the competition, and is variable speed needed for the size bits that can be used with this class of routers?

Thanks!

Never used that router, but I much prefer my Bosch D-handle to the same router without a D-handle. Does it have a switch in the handle? That is a nice feature. Don't know why D-handles aren't more popular.

You really don't need variable speeds in a hand held router; the really big bits that require slower speeds are only useful in a table.

John Thompson
01-05-2008, 1:37 PM
I just picked up a 5625 yesterday and had a question on the above-table height adjustment when installed in a table.

Unless I provide a bit of force from the bottom (actually, the top of the router when under the table), turning the t-handle adjusting wrench will raise the bit but it then will drop down again.

Is this normal or should I take it back for replacement?

Man, is it a nice hunk of power though!

A good question Kevin. The router is turned upside down in the table and gravity is a factor. And to be honest, I don't use the above table adjuster. I simply pop the router out of the table to do bit changes.. and used to do that with height adjustments. Very quick as Milwaukee keeps it simple, IMO.

Now.. I just open the cabinet door and and release the lock lever which I intentionally faced toward me with the cabinet open. Then turn the knob manually while supporting the base (which is the top with the router upside down) and make the adjustment. Then re-lock the lock strap and release my hand from the base.

A matter of seconds to do and I find it just as easy as sticking the above board rod through, etc. I suppose that I am not into all the high-tech gadgetry.. :)

BTW... Glenn B. mentioned that our 5625 doesn't have any dust control and he is so correct. But.. I do have sufficient dust pick-up on the table and my router cabinet has enclosed doors so I find no problems.

And Glenn... the new Combo kit with fixed base and plunge does have and attaching dust shield that hooks to a Shop Vac, etc. And it attaches much easier than the excellent Bosch 5" ROS sander with the "not so excellent" dust attachement modifier you have to pay extra for! ;)

Sarge..

Clint Gauthier
01-05-2008, 2:55 PM
This purchase will be for hand use, mostly with a dovetail jig. I have a 5625 in a router table.

RickT Harding
01-05-2008, 3:30 PM
I just recently picked up the 2 1/4 dual base combo. It does have the dust collection add on, but it doesn't work when used with the collets for dovetail work. The collects block the area the dust collection pulls in. You can look at some of the bases that have a dust collection that sits around the outside of the base.

In normal use, the dust collection add on works pretty well.

As for turning the crank, I tried it and had the same experience. It's tight. I later wondered if I should unlock the router body before using the above table wrench, but I've not tried it yet. In my bench dog table top router stand, the dial on the fixed base works pretty well for height adjustments and I've not gone to using the above table wrench.

Definitely love the set though.

Kevin L. Pauba
01-05-2008, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, John. If I understand you clearly, the behavior I'm seeing is to be expected and there's nothing wrong with my router.

I tried the method you've suggested and find it equally effective.

Thanks!